Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
410 Queen Street West - Cambridge
(03-23-2022, 10:43 AM)ac3r Wrote: Well, Cambridge city council is already speaking out against this...because...get this...Cambridge is at risk of turning into Manhattan. Yes, Manhattan: https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...s-say.html

I guess this makes Kitchener Tokyo, given the three or four dozen tall buildings downtown?

"nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded"

"The development could cause problems for a neighbouring business, Samuel, Son & Co., a steel distributor that’s been at 133 Groh Ave. for decades. The company operates six days a week, and has shipments early in the morning, which could lead to noise complaints from residents in the new development, said lawyer Paul DeMelo. As well, the tall towers will cast shadows on solar panels on Samuel’s roof, he said."

Solar panels, the new Jefferson Salamander of Nimbys.
I'd bet that the neighboring factories will close soon enough on account of the high cost of living in the area. As mentioned, it's more profitable to maintain an acreage of dirt than it is to house the working class.
(03-23-2022, 11:01 AM)Chris Wrote: "The development could cause problems for a neighbouring business, Samuel, Son & Co., a steel distributor that’s been at 133 Groh Ave. for decades. The company operates six days a week, and has shipments early in the morning, which could lead to noise complaints from residents in the new development, said lawyer Paul DeMelo. As well, the tall towers will cast shadows on solar panels on Samuel’s roof, he said."

Solar panels, the new Jefferson Salamander of Nimbys.

The noise issue is not a reason to prohibit the development, but might be a reason to take steps to inform prospective purchasers of the issue. There needs to be a provision to allow existing industrial uses to continue, even if their activities would be considered a noise bylaw violation if newly started. This is similar to the situation with residential development near airports.
Looks like this is the second thread for this project?

https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...p?tid=1639
I'm happy to announce that Cambridge Council has successfully ruined this proposal, bringing the housing down from 2,200 to 1,300.

https://www.cambridgetimes.ca/news/water...5870f.html
local cambridge weirdo
Classic Cambridge. Council was even rejoicing that they had removed 1000 units from the market. Then at the same time complained that the development did not include any affordable units. The mental gymnastics that some of these people do to convince themselves that supply and demand do not apply to housing is incredible sometimes.

(12-07-2023, 10:44 AM)westwardloo Wrote: Classic Cambridge. Council was even rejoicing that they had removed 1000 units from the market. Then at the same time complained that the development did not include any affordable units. The mental gymnastics that some of these people do to convince themselves that supply and demand do not apply to housing is incredible sometimes.
It’s incredible how heartless you can be when there’s no voice for the shittily-housed and poor and future residents that will never be  Heart 

I wish there was a direct feedback to the local residents with stuff like this. Example: “because council rejected this project, your property taxes will now rise by x% to offset the missing new tax revenue”. Maybe people would actually know what their choices cost? (Probably not)
local cambridge weirdo
(12-07-2023, 10:44 AM)westwardloo Wrote: Classic Cambridge. Council was even rejoicing that they had removed 1000 units from the market. Then at the same time complained that the development did not include any affordable units. The mental gymnastics that some of these people do to convince themselves that supply and demand do not apply to housing is incredible sometimes.

Ah but think of the sight lines and shading on the warehouses!

The bottom line is they would rather take the position that "they can develop another parcel for those other 1000 units within the zoning" than appreciate that their own byzantine zoning and review process is why the max/min optimization happens. That and citing cherry picked articles that density "raises land values and makes things less affordable" without a hint of irony on what the causation actually is there.
Given the Mayor, I still think this approval is a win. Now I wonder, will this be rentals or condos? Does the soil still need remediation? Because I know it was heavily polluted by trichloroethylene. I have a feeling that Blackstone will try to parlay this approval into a sale of the land.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »