Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
OTIS | 6 fl | U/C
So originally this was proposed to be 80 units, and now it's proposed to be just 30. Originally 12 floors, now just 6.

If the noise from events didn't bother you, a terrace overlooking the park might be quite nice.....
Does anyone know what project is being referred to in the following quote from The Record article?

"
But Coun. Bil Ioannidis said he thought heritage districts can have a mix of modern and old, so long as the designs are attractive. "I know some other contemporary buildings were approved on Ahrens. I think it's the wave of the future and I think it's the way cities are being built today within heritage districts."
(09-11-2017, 07:50 PM)panamaniac Wrote: If the noise from events didn't bother you, a terrace overlooking the park might be quite nice.....

With good windows, it should not be a problem. We don't hear the music, or emergency vehicles, or traffic, as long as we keep our windows and balcony door closed.
(09-11-2017, 07:50 PM)panamaniac Wrote: If the noise from events didn't bother you, a terrace overlooking the park might be quite nice.....

This is Downtown Kitchener, you know, a place trying to become a city. Noise is common and expected in cities, and many people actually enjoy it...
(09-12-2017, 11:19 AM)urbd Wrote:

This is Downtown Kitchener, you know, a place trying to become a city. Noise is common and expected in cities, and many people actually enjoy it...

There's nothing wrong with installing good soundproofing.
Save the "downtown is loud, accept it" arguments for when people are trying to change downtown to not be loud!
(09-12-2017, 11:19 AM)urbd Wrote:

Well, that would be someone not bothered by the noise then, as I suggested.  I'd be one of them.

Additional renderings and site plan are available here (sorry can't seem to link to specific pages in a PDF with the City of Kitchener's new website).
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Other than wrt the modern esthetic of the porposed design, I can't see this giving rise to much (more) controversy. I like that there will be office space at ground level.
I actually do like the design. I wonder who the developer is, the information is redacted in the PDF.
CTV video with some commentary on the project :

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile/video?clipId=1280113
Heritage planner: It fits well with the area.
Local residents: It's about time
Frank Etherington: "In my opinion" it won't look good.
Yes, that is indeed an important detail we should focus on...
He seems to have some interesting opinions on projects lately.

Any word on a new name for this?

Hmmm. CTV's videos are not working for me at the moment. Apart from Etherington's personal opinions, is there anything new?
There's a brief picture of the current design, which is quite different from the old one.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »