Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cineplex Fairway Rd
Today I was walking by this area, and I saw EllisDon's board on the construction site. So then I searched up what was happening. And I got this: http://www.ellisdon.com/bidlist/-/asset_...te-package
It says "Fairview Park Commons + Cineplex", maybe they're making condo's ontop of the cineplex, I don't think that would look cool though. But EllisDon is the company that made the Courthouse, which looks pretty cool, so it might look pretty cool.

(04-15-2015, 09:15 PM)KWKid Wrote: Today I was walking by this area, and I saw EllisDon's board on the construction site. So then I searched up what was happening. And I got this: http://www.ellisdon.com/bidlist/-/asset_...te-package
It says "Fairview Park Commons + Cineplex", maybe they're making condo's ontop of the cineplex, I don't think that would look cool though. But EllisDon is the company that made the Courthouse, which looks pretty cool, so it might look pretty cool.

What makes you think there might be a condo? 
I don't actually know, I just think Fairview Park Commons sounds like a condo project. I'm just assuming though, it could be anything really.
The name reminds me of Pergola Commons in Guelph (which co-incidentally also has a theatre)
(04-15-2015, 10:17 PM)neonjoe Wrote: The name reminds me of Pergola Commons in Guelph (which co-incidentally also has a theatre)

That makes more sense...
(04-15-2015, 09:15 PM)KWKid Wrote: It says "Fairview Park Commons + Cineplex", maybe they're making condo's ontop of the cineplex, I don't think that would look cool though.

Works for Bell Lightbox.
I passed by and noticed steel framing and a mobile crane working at the site.

Between this cinema and the grocery store, a lot of action here.  

I would have thought the owner would sit on the land and see how things shape up with ION and consider going denser, but I guess not.
Article about the new Cineplex and Farm Boy being built on Fairway.
http://www.kitchenerpost.ca/news/fairway-frills/
Is there any update on the cinema? The building has looked nearly complete for a least the past 4-5 months now. When is it supposed to open?
The exterior is essentially done so they have been outfitting the interior in that time but I would say it should be open before June.
I agree it looks like it should be done fairly soon, but I googled Cineplex Kitchener and 6th down on the results list is a link to a PDF from Cineplex that says the theatre isn't supposed to open until late 2016. I think the construction must be ahead of schedule though? I want to get a job there, but on the careers site there is no mention of Cineplex Kitchener hiring yet. So it's hard to tell.
Interior fit-up is not particularly quick. I can easily imagine it taking until the fall. They want to be open for the Christmas movie season, hence the target date, but I'm sure they'll be happy to open as soon as they can.

May 15, 2016

Attached Files Image(s)

Does anyone have any recent information on this development? It seems like construction has stalled and nothing has happened on the site in several months. Any reason why? I know interior work can take time and is not entirely visible and also that they have targeted an opening in late 2016, but it seems like things are taking way longer than usual for a project of this scale and for a company as large and sophisticated as Cineplex. If the project is ahead of schedule, you would think they would want to take advantage of things and at least have a soft opening to capitalize on the summer movie season.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »