Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Mall Retail (Cambridge Centre, Conestoga, Fairview)
Interesting timing with Sears being on its last legs (for real this time, it seems). I wonder if CF is planning for a new tenant. Simons would fit in there nicely.

Not to be negative, as I am a Simons fan, but that space would likely be too big for them. Also, if they had any plans for K-W, I would have seen Conestoga Mall as being a better fit for them.
I went with Fairview because it seems to have the best potential for the region's "destination mall".

Can't think of who else could move in there without subdividing; what if they only used the main floor and closed off the basement?

Could HBC move in there instead and the HBC space be repurposed? It's certainly less eyecatching architecturally; I don't think anyone would miss it. They could rebuild and put Simons there instead.
Can't see HBC moving from ground-floor-and-second-floor to ground-floor-and-basement. Plus the Sears box looks nicer, but is actually more awkward internally.
https://www.therecord.com/news-story/738...-to-close/

Sears at the Cambridge Centre is set to close along with 58 other Sears locations.
I'm amazed it lasted this long. Wonder what it means for Cambridge Centre's long term survival; that's going to be an awkward space to reconfigure.
That's two vacant anchors at Cambridge Centre. Doesn't bode well.

It's going to be near LRT, which makes redevelopment of some of the space to mixed use a bit easier. It's a shame since much of this space is newer.
Could always convert the Sears space into offices. Reclad and punch a few windows in. Tear down the Zellers part and put up a few extra levels. Really the entire Hespeler Road frontage could be repurposed similar to the new plan for the Yorkdale lands.

Took them twenty years to get the mall built and it's going to come apart just as fast.
(06-22-2017, 05:37 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: Could always convert the Sears space into offices. Reclad and punch a few windows in.

As long as there is demand for office space in the area.  Does anyone know what the office space vacancy rates are like in Cambridge?
No idea; I'm just throwing ideas out right now. It's a smaller store, but I can't see Simons moving in, so retail demand for the space is going to be low.
Lululemon will be opening a store at Conestoga Mall in the fall.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sears-li...-1.4347765

Well then, so much for the renovations at the Fairview Park Mall location...

(10-10-2017, 02:32 PM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sears-li...-1.4347765

I hope we can get a bunch of brand clothing stores like Zara.
(10-10-2017, 02:32 PM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sears-li...-1.4347765

I think Wal*Mart is making a new store there, and a parking garage, from my understanding. Unsure if the Sears closure does anything.

Perhaps the Sears location would be more ideal for Wal*Mart, and the old Wal*Mart can be converted into more stores.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »