Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preston Springs Hotel Redevelopment
Most likely a new build would be more cost-effective than repairing, retrofitting and modernizing the interior of the current building. The region (Cambridge does not manage its own affordable housing) might assign some value to retaining a heritage property, though.

(11-28-2019, 12:19 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Most likely a new build would be more cost-effective than repairing, retrofitting and modernizing the interior of the current building. The region (Cambridge does not manage its own affordable housing) might assign some value to retaining a heritage property, though.

It would be a shame if this building can’t be saved.  I remember the first time I saw this building and the Cress Hotel, which was still standing.  I was blown away.  I couldn’t imagine why Preston had such beautiful buildings.  It didn’t fit in with the rest of the town.
(11-27-2019, 06:42 PM)tomh009 Wrote: And seven years since Haastown bought it. Maybe they are hoping to have it condemned so that they can tear it down and build something new on the site -- or sell a cleared piece of land to another developer.

That was my fear
The building is to be demolished.

https://www.cambridge.ca/Modules/News/in...fa0aa1b155
[url=https://www.cambridge.ca/Modules/News/index.aspx?newsId=2646ea0c-9546-406a-97e8-2bfa0aa1b155][/url]
(01-22-2020, 04:55 PM)mgregorasz Wrote: The building is to be demolished.

https://www.cambridge.ca/Modules/News/in...fa0aa1b155
[url=https://www.cambridge.ca/Modules/News/index.aspx?newsId=2646ea0c-9546-406a-97e8-2bfa0aa1b155][/url]
This is such a shame. It's a beautiful building and I wish they would have been able to save it.

Ultimately of course, the issue is that it was allowed to get run down in the first place
Unfortunately news, and always seemed to be this building's fate. A real shame.
(01-23-2020, 06:40 AM)rangersfan Wrote: Unfortunately news, and always seemed to be this building's fate. A real shame.

Yes, unfortunate but not really a surprise.

Well, I did call this a couple months ago, so no real surprise. Costs obviously were going to be way to high to properly fix the property.
Does Cambridge have a heritage group strong enough to put up a fight on this?
(01-23-2020, 08:35 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Does Cambridge have a heritage group strong enough to put up a fight on this?

If you have the money and the risk insurance you can buy it and keep it! It's an engineering hazard. Time to think about new and better.
"I would like to apologize to anyone i have not offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly."
(01-23-2020, 08:35 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Does Cambridge have a heritage group strong enough to put up a fight on this?

I am sure they do, and I am sure this will be fought, though there were be zero interest from the heritage group to buy it and fix it properly. They generally don't spend much of their money fixing things.

There's no fight that can be won. The building cannot be salvaged.
Unfortunate, but no surprise here.

Officials issue emergency order to demolish former Preston Springs Hotel
When will it be demolished?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »