Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quantum Valley Investments (QVI)
Quantum Valley Investments moves into former BlackBerry building 

[Image: B821764741Z.1_20141112202820_000_GD31C4P...ontent.jpg]

Quote:Quantum Valley Investments, also known as QVI, focuses on commercializing breakthroughs in quantum computing and quantum materials fabrication...

Since Lazaridis and Fregin announced the launch of the $100-million fund in March 2013, it has invested in four companies. The companies are in "stealth mode" so Lazaridis isn't providing details...

Lazaridis, who has invested more than $250 million of his own money in the Institute for Quantum Computing as well as the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, said QVI has grown since it was launched and needs more room...

The move into the new headquarters is the latest step in the plan by Lazaridis and Fregin to develop Waterloo Region into what they call a Quantum Valley.

Lazaridis just happened to get the newest building after BlackBerry started shedding property. Hmm...
(11-13-2014, 08:14 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: Lazaridis just happened to get the newest building after BlackBerry started shedding property. Hmm...

I thought that was BB HQ so he not only got the newest building but probably also the nicest furnished building -- and maybe he didn't even have to move his office Wink
Did BlackBerry even move in before Laziridis moved on? At least this way, he'll get the office that he presumably designed.

I also want to make some sort of Schrodinger pun about the name/company, but I don't have the Physics chops to do so.
(11-14-2014, 12:41 PM)nms Wrote: Did BlackBerry even move in before Laziridis moved on? At least this way, he'll get the office that he presumably designed.

I don't know for sure but I did see some impressive looking cars in the parking lot during and after construction activity. I'd assumed the executives had moved in but maybe this was just an indication that BB paid the contractors well Wink

(11-14-2014, 12:41 PM)nms Wrote: I also want to make some sort of Schrodinger pun about the name/company, but I don't have the Physics chops to do so.

Perhaps Mike is the cat and this building is the steel box?
(11-14-2014, 12:53 PM)ookpik Wrote:
(11-14-2014, 12:41 PM)nms Wrote: Did BlackBerry even move in before Laziridis moved on? At least this way, he'll get the office that he presumably designed.

I don't know for sure but I did see some impressive looking cars in the parking lot during and after construction activity. I'd assumed the executives had moved in but maybe this was just an indication that BB paid the contractors well Wink

(11-14-2014, 12:41 PM)nms Wrote: I also want to make some sort of Schrodinger pun about the name/company, but I don't have the Physics chops to do so.

Perhaps Mike is the cat and this building is the steel box?

To all the above with "big ______ envy" > if you had his money you too could have what you want. 

1) Lazaridis worked hard 
2) Lazaridis made mistakes 
3) Lazaridis works hard
(11-15-2014, 12:03 AM)MacBerry Wrote: if you had his money you too could have what you want.

1) Lazaridis worked hard 
2) Lazaridis made mistakes 
3) Lazaridis works hard
Absolutely!

Levity aside Mike's vision, money and hard work made possible not only BlackBerry but also and more importantly Perimeter Institute and Institute for Quantum Computing. The latter two will be his more enduring legacies.

Waterloo Region and Canada owe Mike a huge debt of gratitude.

(11-15-2014, 12:15 AM)ookpik Wrote: Absolutely!

Levity aside Mike's vision, money and hard work made possible not only BlackBerry but also and more importantly Perimeter Institute and Institute for Quantum Computing. The latter two will be his more enduring legacies.

Waterloo Region and Canada owe Mike a huge debt of gratitude.

And remember that Jim (and Heidi) Balsillie's $5 million donation to Grand River Hospital enabled them to redevelop/build the Grand River Regional Cancer Centre.  It's a top of the line, warm and welcoming place for cancer patients and their families. I know this from personal experience. 

http://www.grhosp.on.ca/Balsillie
Yes, as well as his funding of CIGI, etc. Also Michael Barnstijn and Louise MacCallum and several others whose philanthropy was made possible by RIM/BB's financial success.
In terms of (former?) billionaires, we could certainly do a lot worse than Lazaridis.
And Jim pushed for the school next to CIGI too. Definitely two great advocates to have for Waterloo Region
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »