Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clearpath Robotics
(07-31-2015, 06:41 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Even with the no-killer-robots pledge, the military is still a big target customer,

I wonder how long they will be able to keep this promise. The military can place orders for thousands of robots at a time. Hard to say no to that. Alternatively we'll see the rise of a new company called Dirtypath robotics whose business model is to buy Clearpath robots and mods them for military usage.

(07-31-2015, 08:58 AM)ookpik Wrote:
(07-31-2015, 06:41 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Silicon Valley definitely has the people for the programming side, but they also have a strong link in the area to the military. Even with the no-killer-robots pledge, the military is still a big target customer, and there are many funds and opportunities to be had in developing robots with that potential bankroll next door.

Military or not, I can see many advantages for having a US presence even if HQ stays in Canada and manufacturing is done partly or entirely elsewhere:
1. Selling to US government agencies, federal, state and even local, may require a US presence.
2. Anything that might require security clearance needs US citizens. 
3. Many procurement protocols require or at least favour US content. 
4. Politicians push "Buy in America" so you need a US presence if you want them on your side.
5. Some US federal procurement subsidies, e.g. for small business, require US presence.

1., 3., 4. The Trans-Pacific Partnership that politicians are going on about, it is likely to contain measures that make "buy local" rules a thing of the past. This may not come to pass, but if Clearpath was locating for this reason, it would be impatient and foolish.
2. Security clearance for non-lethal military does not require US Citizenship. (I know as I have worked on projects like these, with clearance)
5. Subsidies to local enterprise will also be a factor in TPP rules, though some amount may be available. This is the most likely of the points to be a factor, though that does not make it likely in the general sense. The other four points should be or are moot.
(07-31-2015, 10:43 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: The Trans-Pacific Partnership ... the other four points should be or are moot.
1. TPP hasn't been approved let alone enacted yet so we can't know its actual provisions. Furthermore secrecy surrounding TPP makes it difficult for us mere mortals to even know what's being discussed, apart from what gets leaked.
2. But even if TPP is enacted, remember that even after NAFTA was enacted the border between Canada and the US remained obstructed to many types of cross-border business.
3. No matter what TPP may provide, local US politicians can support or impede foreigners in many subtle ways. You can't legislate goodwill.

In any case:
1. We're all just speculating as to Clearpath's motives in opening up a branch office in Silicon Valley.
2. We're also guessing about TPP provisions and how they would affect Clearpath.
3. And we're assuming that Canada will sign TPP. If for example the election happens before TPP is finalized and the NDP form the next government, TPP may itself be moot for all Canadian companies.
(07-31-2015, 11:15 AM)ookpik Wrote:
(07-31-2015, 10:43 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: The Trans-Pacific Partnership ... the other four points should be or are moot.
1. TPP hasn't been approved let alone enacted yet so we can't know its actual provisions.

3. And we're assuming that Canada will sign TPP. If for example the election happens before TPP is finalized and the NDP form the next government, TPP may itself be moot for all Canadian companies.

TPP deal not expected in Hawaii; federal campaign looms 
Quote:Talks to create a massive Pacific Rim free trade zone went into overtime in Hawaii Friday, raising the possibility that the Conservative government may find itself negotiating a controversial agreement while on the campaign trail.

Sources close to the negotiations played down the prospect of a deal being reached in Maui, saying nations are too far apart on dairy and autos. Canada has been reluctant to significantly open up its heavily protected dairy, poultry and egg markets to more foreign competition and New Zealand, a major milk exporter, has been pushing for far more ambitious concessions from the United States...
(07-31-2015, 10:19 AM)BuildingScout Wrote: I wonder how long they will be able to keep this promise. The military can place orders for thousands of robots at a time. Hard to say no to that. Alternatively we'll see the rise of a new company called Dirtypath robotics whose business model is to buy Clearpath robots and mods them for military usage.

That would be hilarious, I hope that comes into fruition!
Latest news from Clearpath.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/632557...ers-growth
Man, they sure seem to get a lot of publicity! Hope the news people realize that there are lots (and lots, and lots, and lots) of other automation/robotics companies in the Region, other than Clearpath.

I find the Record's local business reporting, and their coverage of developments with tech companies, to be about the only thing they do well.
(04-17-2016, 07:28 AM)Canard Wrote: Man, they sure seem to get a lot of publicity!  Hope the news people realize that there are lots (and lots, and lots, and lots) of other automation/robotics companies in the Region, other than Clearpath.

I want to keep hearing about Clearpath, and also hear about the other ones! Maybe your company should get in touch with Terry Pender at The Record to highlight the interesting stuff they're doing?
(04-17-2016, 01:43 PM)mpd618 Wrote:
(04-17-2016, 07:28 AM)Canard Wrote: Man, they sure seem to get a lot of publicity!  Hope the news people realize that there are lots (and lots, and lots, and lots) of other automation/robotics companies in the Region, other than Clearpath.

I want to keep hearing about Clearpath, and also hear about the other ones! Maybe your company should get in touch with Terry Pender at The Record to highlight the interesting stuff they're doing?

I agree  I used to be in manufacturing, so I really enjoy seeing the innovative companies building tangible products in our region.
This is absolutely the heart of industrial automation in North America, something not a lot of people know. So many small companies that fill very specific niche industries. For example, the company I work for is one of only two companies that do what we do in all of North America (the other company is American), and our tiny company competes with some massive players from Europe.
(04-23-2016, 02:31 PM)Canard Wrote: This is absolutely the heart of industrial automation in North America, something not a lot of people know. So many small companies that fill very specific niche industries. For example, the company I work for is one of only two companies that do what we do in all of North America (the other company is American), and our tiny company competes with some massive players from Europe.

Would ATS be in this group of industrial automation support and development? Would you consider ATS a small medium or large presence?
I would consider ATS absolutely huge and one of the largest global players in automation.

(04-24-2016, 08:48 AM)Canard Wrote: I would consider ATS absolutely huge and one of the largest global players in automation.

Thanks
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »