Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Civic 66 (Weber, Scott and Pearl Pl) | 11 fl | U/C
(05-12-2022, 10:08 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-11-2022, 09:45 PM)cherrypark Wrote: Drove past this one yesterday and really liked the precast patterning. This corner has really come to life with this and The Scott. Two quality examples of mid-rise that I think we could afford to have more of throughout town.

I was just wondering about that yesterday.   Pics appreciated!

Here is a picture of the pre-cast pattern. I like it, it changes quite a lot through the day. Though is quite dirty right now, which I hope is just part of construction dust... I didn't get a picture of it, but the windows in the off-white section of the building have black frames with white panels which makes them look quite silly. The rest of the pre-cast alternates from flat to brick pattern.

I like how they painted the circle pattern into two different colours, somehow it makes it look better in my opinion. Also the brick patterned precast got some paint which makes it the "brick" a different colour than the "grout". This also looks better than when it was all one colour, in my opinion.
I read (ages ago) that there is supposed to be a commercial space in Civic 66 that's earmarked for a restaurant with an outdoor patio. Can anyone confirm if that's still the plan?
Music 
(03-09-2023, 02:40 PM)SF22 Wrote: I read (ages ago) that there is supposed to be a commercial space in Civic 66 that's earmarked for a restaurant with an outdoor patio. Can anyone confirm if that's still the plan?

There's a FOR LEASE sign outside of the building advertising restaurant and patio space, so I'd assume yes.
(03-10-2023, 02:57 PM)diidelphiis Wrote:
(03-09-2023, 02:40 PM)SF22 Wrote: I read (ages ago) that there is supposed to be a commercial space in Civic 66 that's earmarked for a restaurant with an outdoor patio. Can anyone confirm if that's still the plan?

There's a FOR LEASE sign outside of the building advertising restaurant and patio space, so I'd assume yes.

Amazing, thanks! I don't have many restaurants within a 15-minute walk from home (Civic 66 is maybe 13 minutes away, going down to King St takes at least 18 minutes), so I am happily going to try out whatever ends up going in this space.
(03-28-2023, 10:10 AM)SF22 Wrote:
(03-10-2023, 02:57 PM)diidelphiis Wrote: There's a FOR LEASE sign outside of the building advertising restaurant and patio space, so I'd assume yes.

Amazing, thanks! I don't have many restaurants within a 15-minute walk from home (Civic 66 is maybe 13 minutes away, going down to King St takes at least 18 minutes), so I am happily going to try out whatever ends up going in this space.

There is also a Madeiran restaurant opening up in Market Flats, next to Humble Lotus, that might also be a shorter walk for you.
(04-01-2023, 07:00 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-28-2023, 10:10 AM)SF22 Wrote: Amazing, thanks! I don't have many restaurants within a 15-minute walk from home (Civic 66 is maybe 13 minutes away, going down to King St takes at least 18 minutes), so I am happily going to try out whatever ends up going in this space.

There is also a Madeiran restaurant opening up in Market Flats, next to Humble Lotus, that might also be a shorter walk for you.

Specifically Madeiran, or just Portuguese?

(04-01-2023, 09:58 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-01-2023, 07:00 PM)tomh009 Wrote: There is also a Madeiran restaurant opening up in Market Flats, next to Humble Lotus, that might also be a shorter walk for you.

Specifically Madeiran, or just Portuguese?

It says specifically Madeiran grille (or BBQ?).
(04-01-2023, 07:00 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-28-2023, 10:10 AM)SF22 Wrote: Amazing, thanks! I don't have many restaurants within a 15-minute walk from home (Civic 66 is maybe 13 minutes away, going down to King St takes at least 18 minutes), so I am happily going to try out whatever ends up going in this space.

I heard about that one! The Cedar bike lanes are really going to open up that corner of downtown for me, and I am stoked about it. I have plans this spring to check out Humble Lotus and Rose Cafe, and just become a lot more familiar with the shops between Frederick and Madison.
Does anyone know when this building started having residents move in? I just went past and noticed some balconies have stuff on them. The first floor isn't finished yet, though. I kind of suspect it'll take a while to attract business. Duke Tower still has a lot of first floor units up for lease.
(06-08-2023, 04:35 PM)ac3r Wrote: Does anyone know when this building started having residents move in? I just went past and noticed some balconies have stuff on them. The first floor isn't finished yet, though. I kind of suspect it'll take a while to attract business. Duke Tower still has a lot of first floor units up for lease.

I drive up and down Weber about five times a day, every day, to and from my office. First noticed signs of people moving in during the first week of May, so kind of assuming it was a May 1 agreement.
I'm curious if anyone knows if there's significance to two properties on either side of Civic 66 pending designation at this time (i.e., 82 Weber street east and 87 Scott Street). Any chance the developer of Civic 66 would be looking to expand in some way?  Thanks!

Related excerpt from Record "both buildings are being designated in conjunction with the construction of the Civic 66 apartment building that now sits between them. Construction dates aren’t noted for either heritage building."
(10-22-2023, 08:58 AM)Bant Wrote: I'm curious if anyone knows if there's significance to two properties on either side of Civic 66 pending designation at this time (i.e., 82 Weber street east and 87 Scott Street). Any chance the developer of Civic 66 would be looking to expand in some way?  Thanks!

The developer renovated 87 Scott and it's being rented out.

82 Weber is a pretty tidy example of brutalist architecture, of which there isn't that much remaining in Kitchener.

(10-25-2023, 09:29 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-22-2023, 08:58 AM)Bant Wrote: I'm curious if anyone knows if there's significance to two properties on either side of Civic 66 pending designation at this time (i.e., 82 Weber street east and 87 Scott Street). Any chance the developer of Civic 66 would be looking to expand in some way?  Thanks!

The developer renovated 87 Scott and it's being rented out.

82 Weber is a pretty tidy example of brutalist architecture, of which there isn't that much remaining in Kitchener.

Thanks!
Yep, it's because of the brutalist style office. In believe they actually designed Civic 66 with those circular things on the facade to pay homage to the little office building.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »