Welcome Guest!
WIn order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfair Hotel | 6 fl | Proposed
If I had to guess there's quite a bit of interior demo that needs to be done to prepare for real work to get started. And much like many restoration projects, we won't be privy to the real progress that's happening on the inside.
Here is a link to the leasing agent's sheet which has a few photos of the interior and a few renderings.

http://www.coupalmarkou.com/features/Kit...gSt_11.pdf
That site seems to imply that this will now be offices on the second and third floor and a much smaller hotel on the top three floors.  That's interesting, if correct.  I certainly hope it all works out.
I wonder if multiple restaurants are still planned

Based on the office market for brick and beam buildings, I'm not entirely surprised.
The website says nothing about the basement, so perhaps the idea of a lounge down there is still in the plan.
yowza!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-...-1.3036601

The City of Kitchener has ordered the demolition of the Mayfair Hotel in the downtown "because of significant structural issues identified by two separate structural engineer's reports," according to a release.

"The Order was issued because of significant structural issues identified by two separate structural engineer's reports. According to a report by MTE Consultants, hired to do an independent assessment by the City, some of the structural deficiencies pose "immediate life safety concerns," the city said in a release.

"Additionally, the MTE report indicates 'the building is in an unsafe and unstable condition' that requires immediate attention given the location of the building and the pedestrian and vehicular traffic around the property. This came to light as a result of a water service break on the weekend."

More to come
Seems that the underground water pipe that burst the other day must have undermined the foundation on the Young St side. Is it fair to call this development shocking, but not particularly surprising? CTV News reported this evening that the demolition permit could be issued as early as tomorrow, although the building's heritage designation must also be dealt with. One thing I'm not clear on is whether it's the six storey tower that must come down, or the entire building including the three storey section.

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/demolition-o...-1.2331196
(04-16-2015, 06:31 PM)panamaniac Wrote: CTV News reported this evening that the demolition permit could be issued as early as tomorrow, although the building's heritage designation must also be dealt with.

If there is indeed something historic about this building I hope they make efforts to preserve the facade.
Seems to be easy enough to do; happens in Toronto all the time.
In this case it seems unlikely. We may know more tomorrow, but the initial reports make it sound like the building is in danger of collapse. It can't be a coincidence that Young Street has been closed off.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »