Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Young (née Mayfair Hotel) | 5 fl | Complete
U of T is building a 14 story building with wood. The article says the Ontario building code limits wooden buildings to 6 stories, but isn't it generally true that as long as it's an engineered structure, it can go outside the building code?

(05-20-2020, 08:31 AM)jamincan Wrote: U of T is building a 14 story building with wood. The article says the Ontario building code limits wooden buildings to 6 stories, but isn't it generally true that as long as it's an engineered structure, it can go outside the building code?

If it's an engineered structure, you can go outside the span tables etc. You still need to meet the building code requirements, but the building code allows for "alternative solutions" through an approval process, and the province is now encouraging taller structural-wood buildings. Those of you technically inclined can find a lot more info here:
https://www.omfpoa.com/wp-content/upload...e-2017.pdf
(05-20-2020, 06:51 AM)Spokes Wrote: Someone posted it a while back, but are there height limits with wood?  (I'm sure there are, so maybe I'm just asking, WHAT are the height limits with wood?)

Not sure if you are asking about the limits here in Waterloo Region or Canada (I don't have an answer for that), but you can definitely go very high with wood. It's all down to how well engineered everything is. Tokyo has a 70 floor wooden skyscraper being planned and some architects in London (England) are researching the viability of an 80 floor building. There is a city (I forget which) in the United States that has a proposal for a 60 and 50 floor skyscraper. Of course, planning and research is different than actually building, but the fact they're doing so shows that it's certainly possible if it's done right.

Norway has built a very tall wooden building, substantially taller than the one in Vancouver. I think there was one that was completed in China a few months back that is a bit larger, but I don't know the name of it. https://www.dezeen.com/2019/03/19/mjosta...er-norway/
I wonder how they ensure carpenter ants don’t have a field day? Or are they just not interested in laminated beams full of adhesive?
Carpenter ants, unlike termites, can only attack wood that is already softened (by exposure to weather, for example).

But this sort of construction should be safe from termites, as well, given the coatings and adhesives used.
The top floor of this project does not go to the edges.  A rooftop patio?

(05-21-2020, 06:13 PM)jgsz Wrote: The top floor of this project does not go to the edges.  A rooftop patio?

Yes. The announcement of this design included a rooftop restaurant https://globalnews.ca/news/4380578/kitch...air-hotel/ . IIRC the rumour was Charcoal Group.

(05-21-2020, 01:34 PM)KevinL Wrote: Carpenter ants, unlike termites, can only attack wood that is already softened (by exposure to weather, for example).

But this sort of construction should be safe from termites, as well, given the coatings and adhesives used.

Thanks, I hadn’t appreciated the difference between ants and termites and had been idly wondering why my house is still standing.
[Image: EiK5syY.jpg][Image: H7Uos61.jpg]
Looks like it's made of gold.
Valuable prizes* to the person who posts the first pic of the etched glass installed on the Mayfair.

*OK, no valuable prizes, but it would make me happy, which is even better, no? Smile
(05-21-2020, 06:21 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 06:13 PM)jgsz Wrote: The top floor of this project does not go to the edges.  A rooftop patio?

Yes. The announcement of this design included a rooftop restaurant https://globalnews.ca/news/4380578/kitch...air-hotel/ . IIRC the rumour was Charcoal Group.

Is Charcoal still the tenant?  I thought that was the case WAY back in the original proposal, but so much has changed since then.
From across the street, pic taken may 25
Looking great

I hope the wood is exposed in the interior. I'm really liking how this is coming together.
(05-31-2020, 09:43 AM)jamincan Wrote: I hope the wood is exposed in the interior. I'm really liking how this is coming together.

Certainly the ceilings will be exposed.  I'm assuming that the pillars and beams will be as well.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »