Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Young (née Mayfair Hotel) | 5 fl | Complete
(04-21-2015, 08:57 AM)clasher Wrote: Tthe facade is really the only thing worth saving IMO but I don't think it's worth risking lives and spending millions to do it. I would be happy to see something really modern and new on that corner too.

I agree on both counts. Downtown has benefited from both old structures (the Tannery, Kaufman lofts) as new ones (School of Pharmacy, Kitchener City Hall, CITS) so a new structure there could also be a net positive.

Neighbours have been observing the Electrohome building deteriorate for many years now, and structural issues have been noted for more than a few years. I don't personally think it will be kept, which I also think is sad. Best hope is that the City or the Region eventually pays to have it cleaned up itself, and it's torn down for redevelopment.

It would be great to see it converted into a mixed-use building, but I wouldn't put money on that. I would love to be proven wrong.

I agree with the general sentiment here: it would be wonderful to see the Mayfair facade preserved, but it's not priceless and shouldn't be preserved at any cost.
(04-20-2015, 09:29 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I am going to call my alderman's office today to encourage him to look into whether the three storey eastern section of the Mayfair can't be preserved when the six story portion comes down.  To me the brickwork of the King St façade is worth saving, if at all possible.

Did you get any response from them?
(04-21-2015, 12:05 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-20-2015, 09:29 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I am going to call my alderman's office today to encourage him to look into whether the three storey eastern section of the Mayfair can't be preserved when the six story portion comes down.  To me the brickwork of the King St façade is worth saving, if at all possible.

Did you get any response from them?

I decided just to send him an e-mail, so no reply. 
Good news from the withdrawal of intention to designate (which must precede the demolition):

It should be noted that 156-158 King Street (former P. Hymmen Hardware) is an adjacent
property to the former Mayfair Hotel at 11 Young Street. This property is owned by the same
owner and the 158 King Street side shares a common party wall with 11 Young Street. Despite
the fact that they have a common party wall, this property is not subject to the Order to Remed
an Unsafe Building issued by the CBO. The 156-158 King Street property is the subject of a
Notice of Intention to Designate under the Ontario Heritage Act and this continues to remain in
effect.

I am satisfied with this - the brick façade of 156-158 matches the old portion of the Mayfair and will remain as a reminder of the Mayfair, and of "old King Street". 
City Council voted this afternoon to withdraw the intention to designate 11 Young St (Mayfair Hotel). An amendment proposal to defer the decision was defeated. Demolition could begin as early as Monday of next week. Some brick and other materials will be saved, although it is not clear to what purpose they might be put.
(04-22-2015, 04:35 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Good news from the withdrawal of intention to designate (which must precede the demolition):

It should be noted that 156-158 King Street (former P. Hymmen Hardware) is an adjacent
property to the former Mayfair Hotel at 11 Young Street. This property is owned by the same
owner and the 158 King Street side shares a common party wall with 11 Young Street. Despite
the fact that they have a common party wall, this property is not subject to the Order to Remed
an Unsafe Building issued by the CBO. The 156-158 King Street property is the subject of a
Notice of Intention to Designate under the Ontario Heritage Act and this continues to remain in
effect.

I am satisfied with this - the brick façade of 156-158 matches the old portion of the Mayfair and will remain as a reminder of the Mayfair, and of "old King Street". 

This is good news (imo).  I like seeing the old street wall preserved.

Although, this will make that corner lot very difficult to develop due to its tiny footprint.  

(04-23-2015, 02:42 PM)REnerd Wrote:
(04-22-2015, 04:35 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Good news from the withdrawal of intention to designate (which must precede the demolition):

effect.

This is good news (imo).  I like seeing the old street wall preserved.

Although, this will make that corner lot very difficult to develop due to its tiny footprint.  

Excellent news. I disagree with you about the potential for redevelopment. I think something really unique could be created by incorporating the older structure. 

Some examples of facadism (not saying they'll only use the facade)

https://www.google.ca/search?q=facadism&...B500%3B333
(04-23-2015, 02:47 PM)Lens Wrote:
(04-23-2015, 02:42 PM)REnerd Wrote: This is good news (imo).  I like seeing the old street wall preserved.

Excellent news. I disagree with you about the potential for redevelopment. I think something really unique could be created by incorporating the older structure. 

That would be phenomenal.  My only hesitation is that I don't feel the market in Kitchener is strong enough to support such construction.  Hope I'm wrong Smile

Funny thing, if you look at the Novotel example in your link, it resembles what they did to the Mayfair how ever many years ago.  Kind of neat.
(04-23-2015, 02:53 PM)REnerd Wrote:
(04-23-2015, 02:47 PM)Lens Wrote: Excellent news. I disagree with you about the potential for redevelopment. I think something really unique could be created by incorporating the older structure. 

That would be phenomenal.  My only hesitation is that I don't feel the market in Kitchener is strong enough to support such construction.  Hope I'm wrong Smile

Funny thing, if you look at the Novotel example in your link, it resembles what they did to the Mayfair how ever many years ago.  Kind of neat.

I believe it can, the Breithaupt Block is a step in that direction in my opinion.

[Image: 17107241008_791ec8363c_b.jpg]Out of Time by Matt M S, on Flickr
Now, you could save all the bricks from the 2nd/3rd floors of the facade, and then rebuild it on top of a robust foundation. Smile Although I suspect that a new-build of the facade in a similar style would be far less expensive.
(04-27-2015, 09:10 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Now, you could save all the bricks from the 2nd/3rd floors of the facade, and then rebuild it on top of a robust foundation.  Smile  Although I suspect that a new-build of the facade in a similar style would be far less expensive.

I was thinking something similar just today when I walked past the building.  If you could save enough brick to reproduce the second and third floors of the King St and the first four windows of the Young St façade, you could have a modern tower behind that façade and it could be a very nice project, especially with glass storefronts at street level.  I'm sure there would be an attractive way to incorporate some of the Art Deco elements of the 1920s addition into the upper floors of the project.

Has the demolition permit been issued yet? 
Looks like it.

"15-110531 ND 11 YOUNG ST Non-Residential Demolition Commercial Demolition Non-Res Open Permit is to demolish the existing former Mayfair Hotel located at 11 Young Street."

Just so I'm clear, the three story adjacent section is separate and won't be touched, right?

(04-27-2015, 09:32 PM)Lens Wrote: Looks like it.

"15-110531 ND 11 YOUNG ST Non-Residential Demolition Commercial Demolition Non-Res Open Permit is to demolish the existing former Mayfair Hotel located at 11 Young Street."

Just so I'm clear, the three story adjacent section is separate and won't be touched, right?

That is correct (the two buildings share a common wall, I believe).  Some heritage elements of the six storey tower are to be saved as well. 
(04-27-2015, 11:07 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-27-2015, 09:32 PM)Lens Wrote: Looks like it.

That is correct (the two buildings share a common wall, I believe).  Some heritage elements of the six storey tower are to be saved as well. 

What heritage elements does the "tower" extension have?  They are not immediately obvious to me, just from looking at the photos.

(I don't think there can have been much of an approval process back when Mayfair got the permit to add those storeys ...)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »