Welcome Guest!
WIn order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfair Hotel | 6 fl | Proposed
re lessons learned here, there's been speculation on what other buildings deserve attention next (James Howe suggests the Legion building), but what about the Electrohome building on Shanley?  That couldn't possibly last much longer can it?  There were articles about structural issues a year of two ago...
The Electrohome building on Shanley... I know that there is a fence around the base as the brick in the upper levels approaching the roof has bowed out and it is in danger of falling. It is my understanding that the grounds of the building are contaminated with something the City of Kitchener does not seem to be in a hurry to do anything about.

It appears to me that through their inaction on that building it is their hope the building will fall down.
(04-21-2015, 06:34 AM)Drake Wrote: The Electrohome building on Shanley... I know that there is a fence around the base as the brick in the upper levels approaching the roof has bowed out and it is in danger of falling. It is my understanding that the grounds of the building are contaminated with something the City of Kitchener does not seem to be in a hurry to do anything about.

It appears to me that through their inaction on that building it is their hope the building will fall down.

Now that's a nice building whose preservation I'd support. Sadly, from the Record:

"The property will not be cheap. In addition to the back taxes there is a large cleanup that must be completed by any new owners.

"The property is a notorious brownfield site. A chemical used to clean machine parts — trichloroethylene — contaminated the ground below the building and slowly moved north and west through the neighbourhood. "

p.s. while I'd prefer to save the facade of the Mayfair, I won't be particularly sad to see it go. Interestingly enough the two houses next to the Sun Life Building on King in Waterloo which in my opinion are more remarkable are slated for demolition and no one has said anything about it.
(04-21-2015, 06:34 AM)Drake Wrote: The Electrohome building on Shanley... I know that there is a fence around the base as the brick in the upper levels approaching the roof has bowed out and it is in danger of falling. It is my understanding that the grounds of the building are contaminated with something the City of Kitchener does not seem to be in a hurry to do anything about.

It's such a mess that no one will touch it - see the link below re: the "toxic plumes" emanating from it underground - and apparently there is over $500k in back-taxes owing to the city. Likely waiting for the right environmental cleanup subsidy to come along so that someone can afford to take responsibility.

http://www.mrsvmiller.ca/Enviro%20Docs/H...actory.pdf
On Saturday I was looking at the Mayfair from Duke & Ontario and the facade is really the only thing worth saving IMO but I don't think it's worth risking lives and spending millions to do it. I would be happy to see something really modern and new on that corner too.

re: The Electrohome building on Shanely I doubt it will ever be cleaned up unless some level of government pays for most of it. It would make such a neat conversion if the site were clean, the loading docks (newer single storey addition) would make a nice cafe patio. They'd have to deal with a lower level of parking than most places seem to have but that's a plus in my books. I imagine they would just demolish the new part though and build something with a parkade on the bottom two floors. Who knows, but I don't see anything happening there for a long time. There's hope in bacteria that can degrade trichloroethylene but I guess there is a lot more work involved in actual remediation than just pouring some bacteria in the ground and calling it a day.
(04-21-2015, 08:57 AM)clasher Wrote: Tthe facade is really the only thing worth saving IMO but I don't think it's worth risking lives and spending millions to do it. I would be happy to see something really modern and new on that corner too.

I agree on both counts. Downtown has benefited from both old structures (the Tannery, Kaufman lofts) as new ones (School of Pharmacy, Kitchener City Hall, CITS) so a new structure there could also be a net positive.
Neighbours have been observing the Electrohome building deteriorate for many years now, and structural issues have been noted for more than a few years. I don't personally think it will be kept, which I also think is sad. Best hope is that the City or the Region eventually pays to have it cleaned up itself, and it's torn down for redevelopment.

It would be great to see it converted into a mixed-use building, but I wouldn't put money on that. I would love to be proven wrong.

I agree with the general sentiment here: it would be wonderful to see the Mayfair facade preserved, but it's not priceless and shouldn't be preserved at any cost.
(04-20-2015, 09:29 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I am going to call my alderman's office today to encourage him to look into whether the three storey eastern section of the Mayfair can't be preserved when the six story portion comes down.  To me the brickwork of the King St façade is worth saving, if at all possible.

Did you get any response from them?
(04-21-2015, 12:05 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-20-2015, 09:29 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I am going to call my alderman's office today to encourage him to look into whether the three storey eastern section of the Mayfair can't be preserved when the six story portion comes down.  To me the brickwork of the King St façade is worth saving, if at all possible.

Did you get any response from them?

I decided just to send him an e-mail, so no reply. 
Good news from the withdrawal of intention to designate (which must precede the demolition):

It should be noted that 156-158 King Street (former P. Hymmen Hardware) is an adjacent
property to the former Mayfair Hotel at 11 Young Street. This property is owned by the same
owner and the 158 King Street side shares a common party wall with 11 Young Street. Despite
the fact that they have a common party wall, this property is not subject to the Order to Remed
an Unsafe Building issued by the CBO. The 156-158 King Street property is the subject of a
Notice of Intention to Designate under the Ontario Heritage Act and this continues to remain in
effect.

I am satisfied with this - the brick façade of 156-158 matches the old portion of the Mayfair and will remain as a reminder of the Mayfair, and of "old King Street". 
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »