Welcome Guest! In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away. Click here to get started.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High-Speed Rail (HSR) - Toronto/Pearson/Kitchener/London
Are they planning to turf freight traffic from this line completely or will it be accommodated somehow (separate tracks, operating at night only, etc.)?
Kent cannot be left as-is for HSR. If they touch it at all (which they would, when they completely rebuild it with CWR and OCS), it has to be brought up to current safety standards.

I really hope they don't go the Kent route, and instead skirt the edge of Guelph, and get with the city to decide which side of it they want to see benefit from all the new development.
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain
I am sure the EA will come back saying Chatham and Guelph are not acceptable for whatever reasons and give the government cover to say Chatham and Guelph, "well, we tried" and to the rest of the province, "we're being fiscally responsible" and just doing the Windsor-London-KW-Pearson-Union route.

Any thoughts on the projected ridership?
"Based on projections consistent with the Province’s Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe (2006), over 10 million travellers annually are forecast to use HSR in the Toronto-Windsor corridor by 2041. As a comparison, in 2015, VIA Rail carried approximately 920,000 passengers in the Toronto-Windsor corridor and 3.6 million passengers in the entire Quebec City-Windsor corridor."

"HSR will present a significant change to the transportation landscape in the Toronto-Windsor corridor. In 2041, over 10 million travellers annually are forecast to use HSR and the service will capture an 11% mode share in the corridor, taking more than five million cars off of Southwestern Ontario’s highways."

At first glance I thought that 10,000,000 riders up from 920,000 seems like a huge overestimate, but considering the change in services level (much higher frequency, shorter travel times) and a growing population it doesn't seem high enough. 25,000 riders a day, riding in two-directions, for 200 workdays a year gets you 10 million trips.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Why does the environmental assessment take 4-6 years? Is it geographic scale of the project?

I thought the province and federal government had both introduced some form of expedited environmental assessment process for transit related projects. In the province's case I thought the process is allowed to take as little as 6 months.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
It probably has to do with the scope of the project (this is an absolutely massive undertaking).

But, I agree, that's really a long time. China built like 20,000 km of HSR in 10 years.
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain
I suspect China isn't quite as concerned with environmental assessments (or, arguably, health and safety).
(05-21-2017, 09:58 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: I suspect China isn't quite as concerned with environmental assessments (or, arguably, health and safety).

Though to be fair, a lot of the "environmental assessment" process here really is a "consult (and try to appease) all possible affected parties". I'm not sure that we have the right balance of how much effort and time is spent on that, versus getting started sooner.
Just out of curiosity why would they not consider putting it down the 401 corridor. If folks sitting in bumper to bumper traffic see something go by at 250+ kph it might motivate them out of the car. Plus most cities have been building infrastructure around the 401 for 50 years. It would not take much for our LRT to go to sports world. Just my thoughts.
(05-22-2017, 08:08 AM)Rick O\Shay Wrote: Just out of curiosity why would they not consider putting it down the 401 corridor. If folks sitting in bumper to bumper traffic see something go by at 250+ kph it might motivate them out of the car. Plus most cities have been building infrastructure around the 401 for 50 years. It would not take much for our LRT to go to sports world. Just my thoughts.

I’m pretty sure a train going at 250km/h can’t take a lot of the curves of the 401. That’s not to say that a route closer to the 401 is impossible, but simply going down the 401 corridor isn’t as simple as one might imagine from looking at a straight section.
More over a key benefit of HSR over flying is that it delivers you to the city Centre where you actually want to go as opposed to the outskirts of the city where the airport and 401 are. Transit down expressways is a common cheap idea that is often also poor value.
(05-22-2017, 08:41 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(05-22-2017, 08:08 AM)Rick O\Shay Wrote: Just out of curiosity why would they not consider putting it down the 401 corridor. If folks sitting in bumper to bumper traffic see something go by at 250+ kph it might motivate them out of the car. Plus most cities have been building infrastructure around the 401 for 50 years. It would not take much for our LRT to go to sports world. Just my thoughts.

I’m pretty sure a train going at 250km/h can’t take a lot of the curves of the 401. That’s not to say that a route closer to the 401 is impossible, but simply going down the 401 corridor isn’t as simple as one might imagine from looking at a straight section.

My best memory of my first trip to France was driving North from Paris toward Brussels... and watching a TGV blow by us like we were standing still. I think my friends went deaf from my squeal of excitement. HSR next to roads is the best.