Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High-Speed Rail (HSR) - Toronto/Pearson/Kitchener/London
(08-13-2017, 12:18 PM)Canard Wrote: I strongly urge anyone who has faith in Hyperloop becoming a thing to familiarize themselves with the history of magnetic levitation in general.

(Part 2 here: https://youtu.be/FWEV0vxqul8 )

Japan is spending trillions of dollars building a single magnetic levitation line between Tokyo and Osaka. I visited the test track - and it was built like 20 years ago and they're still developing it. The best minds are on it.

I love Elon Musk - I really do. But how can he think that he can just snap his fingers and change everything? Why does he think he can magically do better than decades of real engineering in Germany and Japan?

What he's doing with SpaceX is incredible, and I'm convinced he'll get to Mars before NASA. But all he's done with Hyperloop is deflect actual political (and worse - public) interest away from viable, proven, existing technology that should be implemented now. My fear is that real HSR projects could be delayed or cancelled with the mindset of "oh, let's just wait for Hyperloop".

If Transrapid had become a thing (and it crushes me that it didn't, beyond the SMT), look how long it took. Hyperloop (or something hyperloop-ish) might one day transport people. But it won't be in 2 years. Maybe 100. Can you even imagine the certification and whole safety aspect? "Oh, oops - the door opened and everyone inside exploded. Too bad." Transport Canada won't even let us have a light rail like through a damn park!

Nothing changes quickly in the rail industry!

Nothing changes quickly in the rail industry because no one is willing to change quickly in the rail industry. 
All it takes is something like Uber or AirBnB to change the entire industry - wait for it - quickly...

I disagree with your mindset. Where there is a will, there is a way.
Where people flock, anything can happen. 
It's the 21st century, technology is expanding exponentially.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: High-Speed Rail (HSR) - Toronto/Pearson/Kitchener/London - by jordan2423 - 08-14-2017, 03:06 PM