Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Development Ideas
I did a quick search on MLS and then KIJIJI, and there were only 2 units from the 42 on sale. Am I missing something?

The key lockboxes used by realtors to show units number in the 15-20% range for the building's total number of units. Can't say I know why online listings show few, but then again, if a realtor can pretend they are "only the third unit in the building to go up for sale, but still new and under the radar," it's better for sales. If it's obvious that 8-12 units are for sale, the ability to sell for target prices will decrease.

People who bought here purchased in 2008, so their money has been invested for 7 years now, including the build cycle yes. The units aren't of the pricey nature of Bauer or Seagrams, but probably some folks see the newly done up Red, 144/155 coming up along with the Barrelyards, and even more condo proposals or construction (UpTown crane, oh my!), and might feel that the market size is going to expand for a while, something they may not have the patience for.
Re Weber N., there is access to King via the small property north of Waterloo Inn at the end of the service road. It seems to me, any one of those tenants (save the inn and IMS) would be happy to get out of there if the right buyer came along. 450-460 Weber St N was part of the IMS property at the time of their purchase.
(03-03-2015, 10:05 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: The key lockboxes used by realtors to show units number in the 15-20% range for the building's total number of units. Can't say I know why online listings show few, but then again, if a realtor can pretend they are "only the third unit in the building to go up for sale, but still new and under the radar," it's better for sales. If it's obvious that 8-12 units are for sale, the ability to sell for target prices will decrease.

People who bought here purchased in 2008, so their money has been invested for 7 years now, including the build cycle yes. The units aren't of the pricey nature of Bauer or Seagrams, but probably some folks see the newly done up Red, 144/155 coming up along with the Barrelyards, and even more condo proposals or construction (UpTown crane, oh my!), and might feel that the market size is going to expand for a while, something they may not have the patience for.

Not the best example given the current situation on that one (has word gotten around?). 
The Waterloo Inn would be wise to snatch up those properties and redevelop the entire area into a convention centre/hotel. They have several options to get to the expressway from that location as well as the ION.
(03-03-2015, 10:47 AM)Drake Wrote: The Waterloo Inn would be wise to snatch up those properties and redevelop the entire area into a convention centre/hotel. They have several options to get to the expressway from that location as well as the ION.

I agree. In fact with the competition from the Delta in Waterloo, the renovated hotels in downtown Kitchener and the suites in St. Jacobs, I think either the Waterloo Inn renovates massively or dies.
(03-03-2015, 10:41 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(03-03-2015, 10:05 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: The key lockboxes used by realtors to show units number in the 15-20% range for the building's total number of units. Can't say I know why online listings show few, but then again, if a realtor can pretend they are "only the third unit in the building to go up for sale, but still new and under the radar," it's better for sales. If it's obvious that 8-12 units are for sale, the ability to sell for target prices will decrease.

"Not the best example given the current situation on that one (has word gotten around?)."

No, what word is that?

(03-02-2015, 07:44 AM)*Spokes Wrote: Those two fields are still actively farmed, no?

Vacant city land vs Agricultural land > For the property owner a good tax break on property taxes ... farmed/agricutural land compared to city land use ...  they are valued differtently by assessment.
So who else is waiting with baited breath for 178 Queen St S to get redeveloped?

It is a block away from (a) the bus terminal, (b) future LRT, © Victoria Park.
It is on a fairly prominent corner with lots of pedestrian traffic.

And what sits there now? A semi-derelict slum. It truly is the worst property in the skid row section of Queen St.
Every winter, the sidewalk is rendered impassible thanks to zero maintenance. The only two times this winter that it's ever been cleared is because I've notified bylaw.
I for one. The site is crying out for a "Red"-like condo development.
Every time I walk past there I would think how good that corner could look. Something mixed use with street interaction would go a long way.

I agree with panamaniac, something along the scope of Red Condos would be perfect here
(03-06-2015, 01:36 PM)Markster Wrote: So who else is waiting with baited breath for 178 Queen St S to get redeveloped?

A block down the street, 132 Queen St. S  is also screaming for redevelopment.
(03-06-2015, 02:23 PM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(03-06-2015, 01:36 PM)Markster Wrote: So who else is waiting with baited breath for 178 Queen St S to get redeveloped?

A block down the street, 132 Queen St. S  is also screaming for redevelopment.

Good spot for a three or four storey office building perhaps?  With the requisite commercial/retail at street level.

Honestly, I don't mind 132 Queen. At least it's a productive site. Not exactly a beacon for a pedestrian utopia, but it's not terribly harmful as is. I don't see anything inherently bad about keeping some small light industrial around.

Apparently, if you really want to redevelop it, it's for sale. $3 million, and it's yours!
Wow!  I hadn't realized that the sight had been consolidated in that way.  Lots of potential for that larger site, once the transit terminal is gone.   I'd say that $3million seems very rich, but didn't Momentum pay even more than that for the oneVictoria site?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »