Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
General Road and Highway Discussion
I was going to add this to the GRT thread, but because what started out as an exercise to see if a GRT bus stop island could have actually fit between the Ion right-of-way and the street at King and William quickly turned into an exercise of, “what else could have been different, and hopefully improved, for all modes?” I thought it fit better in the general discussion.

(larger georeference PDF in attached zip file)

I tried to stick to regional standard lane widths (minimum, standard, maximum, etc.) as well as trying to keep to the original plans and/or what was actually built as much as possible.

I recognize that not every little detail conforms to what was planned, or what was even actually built or already existed, and that I have no idea what constitutes good or bad turning radius or good or bad cycling lane geometry, but hopefully shows what could have been with a little more thought and prioritization (not to mention professional knowledge, skill, and tools!).

Hopefully this type of exercise, re-thinking, and learning from these lessons will help when the time comes to build the Cambridge segment.

Highlights:
Added 2.5m GRT bus stop island
  • Provides for a bus stop between Allen and Waterloo Public Square Ion stops right on King St.
  • Avoids lengthy, awkward, and potentially less safe detour down William/Regina/Willis.
  • Improves bus safety by reducing Ion track crossings by two.
  • Improves bus route schedule adherence (fewer turns, fewer potential Ion delays), and shortens the length of the trip allowing for greater frequency of trips.
  • Similar in size to one at King and Victoria.

Improves connectivity of pedestrian and cycling network
  • Added protected lanes and cross-rides for people who cycle.
  • Added more direct pedestrian connection from Willis Way Ion station to King St.
  • Larger city block broken in to smaller blocks improves connectivity and improve the scale of place.
  • Added potential extension of Iron Horse Trail to connect with new protected cycling lanes.

Enhanced safety features
  • Tighter turning radii force vehicles to slow.
  • Set back stop lines and bumped out curbs improve sight-lines.
  • More frequent pedestrian crossings, both marked and unmarked, provide predictable places and refuge for pedestrians to safely cross.
  • Separates all modes, LRT, motor vehicles, pedestrians, and people who cycle.

Most changes fit within the existing right-of-way
  • Only a few additional slivers of land would be required in some areas, and much of those are already public land.
Additional parking spaces created by reducing length of parking spots from 6.50m to 5.75m and planning placement of fire hydrants more carefully.

How to fit more into the same space?
  • south of William travel lane widths on King St were reduced from 3.50m to 3.35m (15cm narrower; regional minimum is 3.25m)
  • south of William turning lane turning lane width narrowed from 3.50m to 3.00m (50cm narrower; regional minimum is 3.00m)
  • north of William turning lane turning lane width narrowed from 3.35m to 3.00m (35cm narrower; regional minimum is 3.00m)
  • where necessary curb widths were reduced from 0.50m to 0.20m (30cm narrower; regional minimum is 0.20m);
  • parking spots were narrowed 2.50m to 2.00m (2.00m space + 0.50m flat curb/door zone on one side).
  • an additional 2.50m was needed on the west side of King near William and additional 0.25 of land was needed on the east side of King at William, both of which are already public.
  • reduced sidewalk width to 3.50m in some areas relative to what was built (6.0m), but still wider than what existed previously (2.5m-3.0m) or what was proposed (3.0m) and is a dedicated pedestrian space buffered from cars and bikes
  • north of William travel lanes on King St remain the same size (3.35m)
  • Willis Way (EB) travel lane width increased from 3.00m to 3.35m.
  • Willis Way (WB) travel lane width increased from 3.25m to 3.35m.
  • Willis Way left turning lanes width reduced from 3.50m to 3.00m.

Unfortunately the line fills and points are not exporting/rendering/supported in the KML format (see attached zip file), but it give a rough idea of what it might look like at King and William:

Now I can get back to finishing a similar re-do of Erb and Bridgeport/Caroline between Father-David Bauer and the expressway.

Attached Files
.zip   Archive.zip (Size: 474.36 KB / Downloads: 128)
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

Looks like a green Amsterdam.
I suspect it won't be long before Ottawa Street is back to four lanes again east of the expressway. It seems that every time I'm on that stretch, the lane configuration has changed. It does seem, however, that they have finished paving, so I suspect it's a matter of painting lines and they will reopen it fully to traffic until next year when they do the second layer of asphalt.
(12-05-2017, 08:36 AM)jamincan Wrote: I suspect it won't be long before Ottawa Street is back to four lanes again east of the expressway. It seems that every time I'm on that stretch, the lane configuration has changed. It does seem, however, that they have finished paving, so I suspect it's a matter of painting lines and they will reopen it fully to traffic until next year when they do the second layer of asphalt.

Yes,  I travel the section every day.  They are very fortunate that the weather remained warm or they would have been left with a disaster on their hands for the winter. I have never seen such a short section of road rehabilitation take so long !!  I was extremely frustrating for anyone who lives in the area...
Speaking of the Ottawa St construction Highway 7 to Lackner). I was under the impression that the whole stretch would have an MUT, but I don't see one for the hwy to River Rd section. That being said having bike lanes for this whole stretch will be a significant upgrade.

From the project information sheet:

http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/gettin...nSheet.pdf

/PROJECT SCOPE (WHAT & WHY) The project is scheduled for construction in 2016 and 2017 and includes construction of a new road with cycling lanes, curb and gutters, sidewalks and multi-use trails. Additionally, this project will include underground infrastructure replacement of storm sewer and replacement of a regional trunk watermain from Heritage Drive to Keewatin Avenue. Construction on this project is planned for the spring to fall period of 2016 (Highway 7 Eastbound Ramp to River Road) and 2017 (River Road to Lackner Boulevard and to Keewatin Avenue for watermain only).
I was wondering when the "Lackner to Keewatin" section was going to be done... Guessing next year, as I doubt they will dig up the watermain this month.

They did build a new concrete "island" on the north side of Lackner with what looks like a support for traffic signal post. Not sure why the two posts on the corners don't suffice.

Coke
(12-05-2017, 04:48 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: I was wondering when the "Lackner to Keewatin" section was going to be done... Guessing next year, as I doubt they will dig up the watermain this month.  

They did build a new concrete "island" on the north side of Lackner with what looks like a support for traffic signal post.  Not sure why the two posts on the corners don't suffice.

Coke

I'm pretty sure that was done last year.  Also I think they still have to pave the north sidewalk/MUT from Nottingham to the trail near Dreger either this year or next.

Rangersfan :  The MUT is from Old chicopee to Heritage and Nottingham to the trail on the north side near Dreger.

I wonder why they didn't just put the MUT all the way, instead of creating little stubs.
I'm 99.9% sure that section WASN'T DONE. I live back there, and I don't remember ANY construction pre-Lackner last year.

Coke
Maybe the region changed their mind? I can't believe they will start later, when the final asphalt and all other work is done from Lackner to Franklin.
(12-06-2017, 04:22 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: I'm 99.9% sure that section WASN'T DONE.  I live back there, and I don't remember ANY construction pre-Lackner last year.

Coke

I concur.  I live there too.  The new island work was just installed about four weeks ago,,,
(12-06-2017, 04:22 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: I'm 99.9% sure that section WASN'T DONE.  I live back there, and I don't remember ANY construction pre-Lackner last year.

Coke

Sorry bout that.  You were right, the region changed their mind, and it wasn't necessary to change the watermain.  I live closer to River road, so wasn't able to check that area out as much when the construction was going on.
They started paving the MUT on the north side of Ottawa from Notingham to Franklin. This will be great as it adds a much needed link between the trails in the area. Sorry no photos as I was driving.

Can I "thread' myself, here?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Lots of illegal left-turns off Caroline NB onto Erb WB. <a href="https://t.co/RmKumackh3">pic.twitter.com/RmKumackh3</a></p>&mdash; ? Iain Hendry ? (@Canardiain) <a href="https://twitter.com/Canardiain/status/939523237788217344?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 9, 2017</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Stand here for a few minutes and watch. Motorists oblivious. <a href="https://t.co/sTAqPG80EF">pic.twitter.com/sTAqPG80EF</a></p>&mdash; ? Iain Hendry ? (@Canardiain) <a href="https://twitter.com/Canardiain/status/939523421997846528?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 9, 2017</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Thanks <a href="https://twitter.com/WRPSToday?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@WRPSToday</a> for sending a car to block the lane! <a href="https://t.co/UolbwwA3WH">pic.twitter.com/UolbwwA3WH</a></p>&mdash; ? Iain Hendry ? (@Canardiain) <a href="https://twitter.com/Canardiain/status/939523671286263812?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 9, 2017</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">...and a totally oblivious motorist has just pulled up behind the cop! <a href="https://t.co/fR0XUIceRA">pic.twitter.com/fR0XUIceRA</a></p>&mdash; ? Iain Hendry ? (@Canardiain) <a href="https://twitter.com/Canardiain/status/939523977642414081?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 9, 2017</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Oh, this keeps getting better and better.? <a href="https://t.co/4r6jeGBNgs">pic.twitter.com/4r6jeGBNgs</a></p>&mdash; ? Iain Hendry ? (@Canardiain) <a href="https://twitter.com/Canardiain/status/939524399249707010?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 9, 2017</a></blockquote>

When I rode back past, about an hour later, as I passed through there were two cars waiting to turn left.

They really need to paint the lanes some different colour or something.
Or a big 'BUS ONLY' on it. Or both.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »