Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
General Road and Highway Discussion
(11-27-2018, 09:49 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: I would say the HTA regulations (where actual speed limits are set), would show the highway speed as 100 km/h (or 90 kh/h in the case of the X-way).  The on-ramps are part of that highway, hence the enforceable speed limit is 100 or 90.  It is recommended you travel 80, but a 500 km/h drive would be an expensive day in court as you are effectively 400 (or 410) over the posted (in the regulations) speed limit.

Coke

You can also get careless/dangerous driving charges. A 500 km/h drive is probably going to be jail time.

Thanks Coke and Sammy, I'll try to keep the Prius under 400 km/h in future!
You're still going to get jail time for that!
(11-27-2018, 02:13 PM)SammyOES Wrote: You're still going to get jail time for that!

They have to catch him first!
(11-27-2018, 04:25 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 02:13 PM)SammyOES Wrote: You're still going to get jail time for that!

They have to catch him first!

Given that 500 km/h exceeds the land speed record of the fastest production cars, and frankly, most helicopters and light aircraft, it's going to be a challenge.

That's one hell of a Prius.
The Franklin St. Bridge looks nearly complete, with paving going on, railings up - hopefully opening within a few weeks!
Looks like the region has a pre-road safety education survey out that will allow them to compare to a post-survey and evaluate how effective their campaign was after it runs next year.

I don't think they quite got the wording correct on this question:

Who do you think is responsible for making Waterloo Region roads safer? (Check all that apply.)
  1. Motorists
  2. Government
  3. Waterloo Region Police Services
  4. Cyclists and pedestrians
  5. All of the above
Clearly the only one who can make the roads safer are the engineers who design them (government).

Everyone can make safer behaviour choices, but none of the other options can physically change the roads.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(12-11-2018, 09:19 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Looks like the region has a pre-road safety education survey out that will allow them to compare to a post-survey and evaluate how effective their campaign was after it runs next year.

I don't think they quite got the wording correct on this question:

Who do you think is responsible for making Waterloo Region roads safer? (Check all that apply.)
  1. Motorists
  2. Government
  3. Waterloo Region Police Services
  4. Cyclists and pedestrians
  5. All of the above
Clearly the only one who can make the roads safer are the engineers who design them (government).

Everyone can make safer behaviour choices, but none of the other options can physically change the roads.

Yeah, clearly the intended answer is "all of the above"...ironically, I doubt "government" is even intended to be road design...more like "we'll change the few designs which show more injuries than expected"...and for all other issues, we'll do surveys like this.

It's for naught anyway, most people don't even consider the importance of design in usability and safety. I mean, never mind all the people that think they can't use computers because of some poorly designed websites (looking at you prestocard.ca) I know people who swear up and down the walls they're dumb because they walk into the same poorly designed door in our cafeteria that I do. Don't ask people about design, SHOW them good design.
Franklin St. Bridge over 401 looks like it could open within days, if not hours. It was a little hard to tell but I think they had sweepers out on it as I went by. The lane markings are all done, and only one set of barrels is keeping it closed.
I noticed yesterday that they were paving the ramp from Bruce Street to 85N.
I seemed to recall someone saying that there were some words embossed in the concrete on the new Victoria St. Bridge. Try as I might, I couldn't see any text at all (on the South face, visible when traveling NB). Is this text only on the North side (visible when traveling Southbound)? If not, where is it?
(12-16-2018, 03:25 PM)Canard Wrote: I seemed to recall someone saying that there were some words embossed in the concrete on the new Victoria St. Bridge.  Try as I might, I couldn't see any text at all (on the South face, visible when traveling NB).  Is this text only on the North side (visible when traveling Southbound)?  If not, where is it?

At the far, far, right, and not very large. Don't try to find it while driving.
Not something that has been discussed here a whole lot (not a very large or visible construction project, other than the closure), but stripes are now down on University between Westmount and Erb. I suspect it will be opening imminently. I think that makes it about a month late.

It was open this afternoon. Took me by surprise after seeing it closed yesterday.
(12-16-2018, 03:25 PM)Canard Wrote: I seemed to recall someone saying that there were some words embossed in the concrete on the new Victoria St. Bridge.  Try as I might, I couldn't see any text at all (on the South face, visible when traveling NB).  Is this text only on the North side (visible when traveling Southbound)?  If not, where is it?

I couldn't see it either driving the same way
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »