Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
General Road and Highway Discussion
Plenty of people on social media seem to think the uptown streetscape closures are ION construction.

(07-21-2017, 09:31 PM)SammyOES2 Wrote: Maybe there's just less media coverage of it because road work isn't as exciting as LRT road work.

Absolutely; I hate to say it, but the media loooooooooooves to push any story that they know will just make people angry.

I've never, ever understood that mentality. I've always felt society should try and be as positive and supportive as possible.
(07-22-2017, 07:07 AM)Canard Wrote:
(07-21-2017, 09:31 PM)SammyOES2 Wrote: Maybe there's just less media coverage of it because road work isn't as exciting as LRT road work.

Absolutely; I hate to say it, but the media loooooooooooves to push any story that they know will just make people angry.

I've never, ever understood that mentality.  I've always felt society should try and be as positive and supportive as possible.

Unfortunately that does not buy people's attention, which is what keeps the media in business.
Westheights is painted with the exception of the yellow on the eastern half. On the west end, it seems they made the travel lane a bit narrower than it was, which causes me to believe more traffic will be driving in the bike lanes than before. Paint is not a barrier for some, unfortunately.
(07-22-2017, 11:52 AM)timio Wrote: Westheights is painted with the exception of the yellow on the eastern half.  On the west end, it seems they made the travel lane a bit narrower than it was, which causes me to believe more traffic will be driving in the bike lanes than before.  Paint is not a barrier for some, unfortunately.

"More than before"....in some places, that's nearly impossible.
(07-22-2017, 10:11 AM)KevinL Wrote:
(07-22-2017, 07:07 AM)Canard Wrote: Absolutely; I hate to say it, but the media loooooooooooves to push any story that they know will just make people angry.

I've never, ever understood that mentality.  I've always felt society should try and be as positive and supportive as possible.

Unfortunately that does not buy people's attention, which is what keeps the media in business.

For a good explanation of this, I go to one of Youtube's best explainers: CGP Grey.
(06-27-2017, 09:30 AM)Markster Wrote: University Ave and Woolwich St has some new portable traffic lights up. This was not a controlled intersection before. I guess they're determining if they should add lights permanently.

I went by this intersection this morning, and it looks like they are installing less temporary signals at this intersection. They are suspended from wires instead of being attached to poles, but are they going to become permanent?

Edit: the draft EA that I found (http://www.waterloo.ca/en/contentresourc...-09-08.pdf) says that signals were not warranted at that intersection.

Edit 2: that was a draft; this is the final version of the EA: http://www.waterloo.ca/en/contentresourc...-10-28.pdf

(07-11-2017, 10:09 AM)Markster Wrote:
(07-11-2017, 08:04 AM)jamincan Wrote: It wasn't just one person, though.

It was one driver who made a pretty big mistake, (getting confused as to where the lane continues on the far side of the intersection) and two drivers who made relatively minor ones (herd mentality).

Sheeples  ... off the road
It appears that Duke between Ontario and Queen is closed yet again for Hydro work for another month. It was just opened maybe 2 weeks ago after being closed since February..
(07-26-2017, 11:08 PM)p2ee Wrote: It appears that Duke between Ontario and Queen is closed yet again for Hydro work for another month.  It was just opened maybe 2 weeks ago after being closed since February..

Yeah, I ran into that today and had a WTF moment.
It was noted in the last ion construction update email. I'm also floored that they need back in there again.
Just learned that Weber Street North over the LRT tracks will be reduced to one lane in each direction starting Monday for approximately 3 months, this to rehabilitate the bridge and prepare it for ION (Replace those temporary construction fences along the parapet with something more permanent.)
(07-27-2017, 03:51 PM)JCnb Wrote: Just learned that Weber Street North over the LRT tracks will be reduced to one lane in each direction starting Monday for approximately 3 months, this to rehabilitate the bridge and prepare it for ION (Replace those temporary construction fences along the parapet with something more permanent.)

This road makes me very grumpy!

Really? I think we talked about this before, but I can't find anything on the city's website. I wasn't aware it was going to happen this soon.
This is just the rehabilitation for the underside + ION related fences. Construction of the MUT is slated for 2019.

http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/gettin...302017.pdf
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »