Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
General Road and Highway Discussion
Shame they couldn't pull a Hamilton and just lift it off the water in one (or two) pieces and swap new spans in.

Two years is a bit much, isn’t it. Smile Nibble nibble nibble!

The sound is deafening if you go by while they’re doing it. Bangs at about 1Hz. I can’t imagine how awful it is for the people living on Blair Rod.
How awful is it for the critters they're trying to protect? There are lots of ways to pollute besides the physical, which can be equally as devastating to a population.
Can't imagine the osprey platform on the east bank is going to be getting much use in the near future. It's bad enough that the eagle nest just north of the road didn't last because of the housing construction in Preston Heights.
UpTown Waterloo:

(10-08-2017, 02:16 PM)Canard Wrote: UpTown Waterloo:
I really like the super wide sidewalks ... bringing back walking to the Uptown.
(10-11-2017, 11:38 PM)SammyOES Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 09:22 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: That’s why I match speed with the line at a certain point, at the absolute latest the point where the merging lane mostly clears out, and then merge at the merge point.

Sadly this kills a number of the benefits of the zipper merge - it wastes a bunch of road capacity that could hold the queued cars and pushes the congestion back to the point that it impacts other roads/intersections that shouldn't need to be impacted.  Not usually a problem on the 401, but horrible in the city.

The other lady in the story wasn't right at all.  She did something illegal.

It almost sounds like we’re okay with those people on 401 in Toronto* who, in rush-hour jams, stay in the right lane, and blast up on-ramps every chance they get to bypass ~10 cars, then cut back in as if they had just joined the highway! People at the front of the line (unless they’re like me, and watch their rear-view mirrors like a hawk) have no idea what’s happened and think “Oh I’ll let this nice person in who has just joined the highway!”, having no clue that they just jumped in front of everyone else, rewarding their bad behaviour.

* - I have never seen this dickish behaviour anywhere else.

This type of behaviour is why I avoid driving in Toronto if I can. It just makes my blood boil.
(10-12-2017, 05:10 AM)Canard Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 11:38 PM)SammyOES Wrote: Sadly this kills a number of the benefits of the zipper merge - it wastes a bunch of road capacity that could hold the queued cars and pushes the congestion back to the point that it impacts other roads/intersections that shouldn't need to be impacted.  Not usually a problem on the 401, but horrible in the city.

The other lady in the story wasn't right at all.  She did something illegal.

It almost sounds like we’re okay with those people on 401 in Toronto* who, in rush-hour jams, stay in the right lane, and blast up on-ramps every chance they get to bypass ~10 cars, then cut back in as if they had just joined the highway! People at the front of the line (unless they’re like me, and watch their rear-view mirrors like a hawk) have no idea what’s happened and think “Oh I’ll let this nice person in who has just joined the highway!”, having no clue that they just jumped in front of everyone else, rewarding their bad behaviour.

* - I have never seen this dickish behaviour anywhere else.
This move is alive and well in the Region... worst location being the Sportsworld onramp to highway 8 at the flyover during slow traffic. Drivers will even ride out the right lane until it merges to 2 lanes prior to the ramp, drive the shoulder and re-enter the onramp to drive up to the front of the queue. Absolutely infuriating and dangerous.
Photo radar expected in Waterloo Region within next few years
I've had people fly past me on the shoulder of the rural part of highway 7 to cut ahead a few spots. It's insane.
(10-12-2017, 02:24 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Photo radar expected in Waterloo Region within next few years

If this is focused on school zones only, they should put up two camera posts in each school zone and then rotate a few cameras to random school zones each day.  That will provide maximum disincentive for school zone speeding with minimum human resources.
I had someone once pass me at 120+ on the right shoulder of the 401 because they couldn't be bothered to pass on the left.

Are photo radars really so expensive it would be cheaper to have people moving them every day than just buying enough for every location?
Yes - "back in the day", school buses equipped with video cameras would often just have a couple at each school, and they'd rotate the camera itself in and out of different identical enclosures in each bus. As kids, we never knew if our bus had the camera that day or not. There was a little dummy flashing LED on the box to make us think it was always on, so we'd be on our best behavior.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »