Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
King Street underpass at the transit hub
King Street Rail Underpass
at future Regional Transit Hub

I drove by this afternoon and it looks like they are getting ready to start construction soon. Some heavy equipment was on site, which looked similar to the vehicles that they used to start the Weber Street underpass.

(01-20-2015, 12:38 AM)BrianT Wrote: I drove by this afternoon and it looks like they are getting ready to start construction soon. Some heavy equipment was on site, which looked similar to the vehicles that they used to start the Weber Street underpass.

The McDonald's drive through was the first casualty I tihnk...It appears to have been part of the expropriations.
I was wondering what they were doing to it. Excellent news though as it makes that location far less desirable for McDonald's to keep.
I remember when that McDonalds didn't have a drive thru. Its addition is why they have such an awkward entrance with a door that goes to nowhere.
That location is in a need of an update maybe a replacement on a ground floor of a new development.
When all McDonalds in Canada underwent renovations in the last 3-4 years, strangely, this location was untouched. My theory was that McDonalds has known it will likely be demolished in the coming years and rebuilt.
I guess that explains why that McDonald's didn't get a facelift ? I'm pretty sure all the other KW locations got updated? Hopefully they will relocate somewhere else in Downtown, I doubt they will though since there's already a location in Market square.
(01-20-2015, 10:57 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: I guess that explains why that McDonald's didn't get a facelift ? I'm pretty sure all the other KW locations got updated? Hopefully they will relocate somewhere else in Downtown, I doubt they will though since there's already a location in Market square.

I think a McDonald's on the stretch between Francis and Queen would do pretty good business.

(01-20-2015, 10:16 PM)Smore Wrote: The McDonald's drive through was the first casualty I tihnk...It appears to have been part of the expropriations.

[Image: 16143168170_5fe54112fc_m.jpg]
It looks like they are putting a street lane where the drive-through used to be. It would have been Expropriated as part of the LRT project.
So when I rode by yesterday I saw they had a mobile crane erected to unload what looked like caissons or some other kind of cylindrical form to me but I was a few blocks away so I dunno what they were exactly.
(01-20-2015, 10:57 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: I guess that explains why that McDonald's didn't get a facelift ? I'm pretty sure all the other KW locations got updated? Hopefully they will relocate somewhere else in Downtown, I doubt they will though since there's already a location in Market square.

I always admired the uniqueness of that building. I think it is pretty cool that McDonalds gave it the Bavarian look for Kitchener and always imagined how well it fit into the Oktoberfest parade motif. I would be disappointed to see a modern looking McDonald's replace it as they are now so generic looking.
Photo 
Here's some of the equipment that they are using to start construction.
Looks like we may have been a little too hopeful that this was the start of actual construction...

From the RideION construction update:

"On January 15, a drilled shaft for testing purposes was installed in the former Beer Store parking lot.  The work is being performed using a piling rig and crane. There is no impact to traffic in this area as a result of the work."

Wondering if this is some sort of environmental testing? Seems like a rather large test bore for anything else?

Nevertheless, progress!
that size points towards testing cassion drilling? that would be needed to hold back the slopes I'd imagine.

Are they bypassing the construction like they did for Weber, or is this rail crossing going to be closed outright?

Closed outright.  That's why they waited until Weber was complete to start at King.

Neat thought: The next few weeks are the last time you'll be able to drive on King with 4 lanes; when it reopens, they'll be tracks there! #gettingclose
It's pretty exciting! I wonder where the 200 iXpress and route 7 will detour through once construction on King Starts. I suppose the schedule will need to change to reflect the delays.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »