Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
King Street underpass at the transit hub
(10-26-2015, 06:28 PM)MidTowner Wrote: Can someone clarify for me how long exactly King will be closed for this? I had thought all the way until the Ion's launch two years from now, but this article in the Record says "King, Wellington to Victoria, Kitchener — road closed for railway underpass construction, through 2016."

That didn't seem right to me, but maybe.

The underpass construction timeline is 18 months. It closed around June, which should make for a late 2016 to early 2017 re-opening.

2017 will be system testing and commissioning, so having more than half of the LRT rail network blocked off by construction here wouldn't work. There'd be no way to get the LRVs south of Victoria for testing. So construction has to complete well before ION launches.

And even before they start running trains for testing, I imagine the road wil reopen - they can do things like installing overhead wire, etc with traffic flowing. So 2016 sounds like an accurate date.
Thanks to both. I'm not sure how I got a much longer timeline in my head, especially since Weber was impressively fast. I appreciate the correction.
Weber was 18 months as well, with the majority of work done within 14 months. It was less intrusive because they had the bypass road and the through-path was only closed for 6 weeks while they re-graded Victoria/Weber and made final connections through the underpass.
(10-26-2015, 07:34 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(10-26-2015, 06:28 PM)MidTowner Wrote: Can someone clarify for me how long exactly King will be closed for this? I had thought all the way until the Ion's launch two years from now, but this article in the Record says "King, Wellington to Victoria, Kitchener — road closed for railway underpass construction, through 2016."

That didn't seem right to me, but maybe.

The underpass construction timeline is 18 months. It closed around June, which should make for a late 2016 to early 2017 re-opening.

2017 will be system testing and commissioning, so having more than half of the LRT rail network blocked off by construction here wouldn't work. There'd be no way to get the LRVs south of Victoria for testing. So construction has to complete well before ION launches.

That is slightly shorter than Weber St no?  That would make sense given that there isn't a temporary road being built
And yet, while the Weber Street underpass is open to traffic, some of the finishes and safety features are incomplete (eg the temporary construction fencing on the west side). Let's hope that when King Street reopens that it's complete or at the very least there is a push to get the final details finished.
They were working there late tonight. Was hard to get a glance of what they were doing (the lights they use are blinding!), but there definitely appeared to be steel beams spanning the length of the bridge in place. Excavating my come soon enough!

They seem to be busy with pile driving, but not too much else yet. It also looks like they've straightened out the mainline a bit compared to when they first moved it.

[Image: LBvsLuV.jpg?1]

[Image: IB4eGkJ.jpg?1]

[Image: Y0MM28k.jpg]
It'll likely be all pile driving for the first few months. If the process is the same as the Weber Street underpass, they'll then build the southern half of the overpass, re-locate the rails over it, build the northern half of the overpass, and then excavate beneath it.

I don't expect to see anything exciting until the Spring, but who knows.
(11-17-2015, 07:01 PM)taylortbb Wrote: They seem to be busy with pile driving, but not too much else yet. It also looks like they've straightened out the mainline a bit compared to when they first moved it.

Thanks -- I'm very happy with the new photo angles provided by the Google team now! Smile
I was just about to say! Pretty awesome vantage point! So that's from inside the new Google building?
(11-19-2015, 07:33 PM)Canard Wrote: I was just about to say!  Pretty awesome vantage point!  So that's from inside the new Google building?

With luck, they'll host an open house for next year's Doors Open!
(11-19-2015, 07:33 PM)Canard Wrote: I was just about to say!  Pretty awesome vantage point!  So that's from inside the new Google building?

Yes, I took them looking out the window from the big presentation space in the new Google building. It's the fourth floor of the middle building, above Workplace One and others.

Snowdome footings and trusses.

Wonder if that Beer Store sign will ever come down
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »