Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
King Street underpass at the transit hub
Can you explain that? "Testing the narrow-gauge rolling stock"

I think it was a joke. Looks like the rails are loose.
(09-06-2016, 09:45 AM)Canard Wrote: All the latest reports indicate they are still on-time.

Maybe I didn't read the sign right as I came off Weber onto Victoria, but if it was on time, I think the King/Victoria should of been opened Sept 1.  Then again, it could of been my math error.

Coke
New signals going up on the west side of the overpass.

Is the plan for the track to eventually be straightened out to the historic alignment? I noticed as I crossed at Duke this weekend that the 'new' track and the bridge overpass actually appears to shift the alignment south from the historic alignment. If the track isn't shifted, trains would have an S-curve after they pass the current train station.
(09-18-2016, 11:20 PM)nms Wrote: Is the plan for the track to eventually be straightened out to the historic alignment?  I noticed as I crossed at Duke this weekend that the 'new' track and the bridge overpass actually appears to shift the alignment south from the historic alignment.  If the track isn't shifted, trains would have an S-curve after they pass the current train station.

I have always wondered about this. I assume the only way they could build the current bridge and keep railway traffic moving was to shift the alignment. They also had to increase the elevation too. I am not sure why they did this. Once again I assume to reduce the gradient of road going under. But considering the future transit hub it is not bad to have railway traffic slow in this area.
A view of the bridge this afternoon (yes, it really does look like a briddge, finally):

The previous track was flat and then had a big steep incline toward Stratford. Raising the tracks at the bridge had a twofold effect; made it easier to get King under it, and it made the incline long and shallow, instead of short and steep.

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about alignment wise - if you zoom in from Victoria, it's straight as an arrow across the bridge. While construction was happening, the tracks were shifted North in a little bump-out.
(09-22-2016, 06:21 PM)Canard Wrote: The previous track was flat and then had a big steep incline toward Stratford. Raising the tracks at the bridge had a twofold effect; made it easier to get King under it, and it made the incline long and shallow, instead of short and steep.

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about alignment wise - if you zoom in from Victoria, it's straight as an arrow across the bridge. While construction was happening, the tracks were shifted North in a little bump-out.
Have not read the whole thread but if you stand on the tracks currently the new alignment shifts a little south to go over the new over pass and then shifts back north to the existing railway. If you stand on Duke or Park you can see the alignment shift.
I've also adjusted the alignment on Google Maps according to the FDPs, you'll be able to check the new alignment on there Smile
Per the latest Ion update, "Work to excavate under the new bridge is complete".
Do we know when this is expected to be completed?
Holdup now is on the asphalt plants, from what I understand. They close down for the winter. Work is progressing on the embedded track via hoardings (warming tents) - I imagine they're arranging their schedule so that the embedded trackwork will all be complete by the time the asphalt plants open back up... and then boom, they'll go in and do their thing in a hurry and get it open.

So... maybe as early as in a month or two?

Hopefully, it will be nice to see the whole area back to normal.
There is a definite shift in the tracks, I don't see how the original alignment could be returned though, because the bridge is in the wrong place. Hopefully they will stretch out the curves so that it doesn't slow trains down. They should already be going somewhat slowly, but right now, they just crawl up to the station. They could shave a half minute of travel time off here easily.

As for incline, the bridge may have raised the track, but it doesn't change the long distance profile towards Stratford, the crossings at West and Park are still at grade, and that grade hasn't changed, the incline starts afterwards.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »