Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cambridge Mill Hotel | 38 & 24 fl | Proposed
I also agree with Owen.

I've visited a number of other Landmark establishments and it was immediately evident that they do not cut corners and cheap out on materials. I think we will be pleasantly surprised if/when this proposed development becomes a reality.

(06-11-2015, 09:23 AM)schooner77 Wrote: I agree with Owen.  I don't get to Galt very often, but that stretch along the river is gorgeous and that includes old and new.  This will make me decide to go down more often.

And that reminds me how neglected the Grand River is in Kitchener-Waterloo.  (Maybe that's a good thing.)  It just doesn't seem to be part of the city.   It's not in the public consciousness much.  I know it occasionally floods and it's probably best to leave it alone but I've always loved cities with rivers and bridges and boardwalks, etc.   At least Galt is not far away...
(06-11-2015, 12:59 PM)jgsz Wrote:
(06-11-2015, 09:23 AM)schooner77 Wrote: I agree with Owen.  I don't get to Galt very often, but that stretch along the river is gorgeous and that includes old and new.  This will make me decide to go down more often.

And that reminds me how neglected the Grand River is in Kitchener-Waterloo.  (Maybe that's a good thing.)  It just doesn't seem to be part of the city.   It's not in the public consciousness much.  I know it occasionally floods and it's probably best to leave it alone but I've always loved cities with rivers and bridges and boardwalks, etc.   At least Galt is not far away...

Agreed! Even Guelph with it's stretch of park along the river is a beautiful compliment to the downtown area. Scott Davey talked about a Riverside park on the Grand during the election last fall... here's hoping that ball starts rolling this term!
(06-11-2015, 12:59 PM)jgsz Wrote:

Yes, a river through a city can be beautiful.  (Cambridge, London, Paris, ...)  But neither Kitchener or Waterloo is physically on the river, apart from some suburbs and commercial strips. 

Given that, would you really want to spoil this, just 10 minutes from the city?

[Image: 9hlBSqn.jpg]
Elora, Fergus, Cambridge and Paris all incorporated the Grand in their downtowns, to great effect. Kitchener, Waterloo and Brantford put parkland along the river and keep it like in the photo above. Both have their merits.
(06-14-2015, 04:30 PM)greybird Wrote: Elora, Fergus, Cambridge and Paris all incorporated the Grand in their downtowns, to great effect. Kitchener, Waterloo and Brantford put parkland along the river and keep it like in the photo above. Both have their merits.

Historic Kitchener and Waterloo are both well west of the Grand and, even today, the Grand marks the eastern boundary other than in the Bridgeport area.  I'm not sure how the Grand could have been "incorporated" in the circumstances.  That said, it's hard to dispute the merits of having a substantial waterway coursing through a city's core. 
(06-14-2015, 04:30 PM)greybird Wrote: Elora, Fergus, Cambridge and Paris all incorporated the Grand in their downtowns, to great effect. Kitchener, Waterloo and Brantford put parkland along the river and keep it like in the photo above. Both have their merits.

Those downtowns (including all of Cambridge's) were built around the Grand. Both Kitchener and Waterloo grew up around a homestead and mill on a dammed creek - Schneider Creek and Laurel Creek, respectively.

!!!! https://www.instagram.com/p/CPiyV-6gTfy/
Cambridge Times broke the news about this project a couple weeks ago. They had a story with some guy talking about how it will be hard to adjust to seeing such big towers in Cambridge, it will nonetheless provide a huge boost to businesses and he was in support of it: https://www.cambridgetimes.ca/news-story...-business/

Here are the official documents for the project, including the CAD drawings, various studies, design brief, massing models and renderings. Planning is by Urban Solutions and the architectural design is being done by Martin Simmons: https://urbansolutions.info/cambridge-mill/
It's still 12 floors?
https://www.cambridgemillhotelandresidences.ca
I'll post the unscaled renders in this thread so it's easier for people to reference as the project goes on:

[Image: f1ckTpV.jpg]

[Image: SZ7tFb0.jpg]
(06-01-2021, 11:30 AM)tomh009 Wrote: It's still 12 floors?
https://www.cambridgemillhotelandresidences.ca

No, 24 and 33 floor towers have been planned. Heights are to be 112 and 143 meters. You could probably update the thread title.

The 24 floor building will be a hotel, the 33 floor building will contain condos. No general retail is planned for this, apart from what the hotel may offer.
Can they build them closer together so we can have a "sky pool", too? ;-)

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1399678383727034369

Good for them!!

I fear they'll get a bunch of pushback on the height. I think The Mill built a good reputation in town though so hopefully that helps
I don't know if this has had any official public consultation yet (i.e. meetings), but so far the residents in Cambridge don't seem to be that objected to it, which is good! They see it as being a boost to the local economy by providing jobs and providing business to nearby businesses, so I suspect this will be approved. This - along with the LRT and the Smart Centres project - could be one of those initial projects that really acts as the catalyst for aggressive redevelopment in Cambridge. In 10 years time I am sure they'll be having a construction boom equal to what Kitchener and Waterloo are currently experiencing. Cambridge is a beautiful place and has the opportunity to really capitalize on creating an interesting urban landscape.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »