Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North (formerly Thalmic Labs, now Google)
It makes you ask, why would Google buy it?

(06-26-2020, 04:31 PM)Spokes Wrote: It makes you ask, why would Google buy it?

Google is still doing glasses business today, although for commercial applications only. They may see further opportunities, possibly in the commercial space.

The deal is pocket change for them, they have $120B in cash.

My guess is to get any patents they may have.
(06-26-2020, 05:00 PM)bgb_ca Wrote:

My guess is to get any patents they may have.

And to get employees. Similar to how Carta swooped in and took over Kik's office space + employees, despite being in a totally different business. Good engineering talent is hard to hire.

There's even the term acquihire for when companies buy startups just for their employees.
(06-26-2020, 07:20 PM)taylortbb Wrote: There's even the term acquihire for when companies buy startups just for their employees.

It’s very much not a new thing:

https://classicprogrammerpaintings.com/p...s-aquihire
The way I see it, Google needs to compete with Apple in whatever vision (pardon not intended) they have with smart eyeglasses. I see this as a good thing, and possibly make this region central for their own vision of what smart glasses should be.

Whatever comes to be, I think Google is going to continue to expand in this area. And I sure hope to hell we don't have more NIMBY's coming out in full force the next time Google attempt to expand. We need the jobs. (this was not a play on words with Apple's previous CEO, Jobs)
Now confirmed by both North and Google. Focals 2.0 are cancelled so it wasn't the product that Google wanted. No word on how many employees are moving over.

I'm imagining Google mostly wanted the patents and the personnel. They may combine Focals with their own work on Glass and release something more from that, who knows.

That's a great question! Cory Doctorow has a thread:

https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1288622926850220032
Worth reading!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »