Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google Maps and satellite imagery of KW
While various buildings downtown have shown up as 3D in the past (in the non-satellite view), they have only been "extrusions", of sorts - a footprint uniformly pulled out to a specific height. These have been mostly my doing so far, as seen on a few buildings (Kaufman Lofts, 305 King, Manulife, etc). However, new, intricate 3D models have now appeared downtown. I can't figure out what criteria is being used to determine which buildings are 3D modelled - at first seemed like only the only churches. But then I noticed Market Square. and the Igloo Building. And a random house on Margaret Ave.

I'm not sure where these are coming from, but I would love to be involved in the modelling process if it were possible. Does anyone know why these buildings in particular / where thew models could be coming from? It's not Google that does it - they simply take the information that others provide them. So someone is giving them these models.

An example of the footprint extrusions I've made

[Image: HcIGIbv.png]

The more complicated models now being added

[Image: Jwo52XF.png]
[Image: O3mlxou.png]
[Image: 8HU8U4X.png]
[Image: FXKovNM.png]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Google Maps and satellite imagery of KW - by GtwoK - 06-20-2016, 01:04 PM