Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
Trails
Proposed pond trail sparks anger from homeowners

Wealthy people using their wealth to try and gain excess influence over the political process and political decisions.

Mixed with the usual "I live here, so I'm entitled to say what people do with other land near me."

So tired of it.

This same issue was written about in the record, and it was very clear what their concerns were...namely, "other" people.
Benches have arrived all along the Central Promenade Reconstruction through Waterloo Park, and along the section by Perimeter Institute, and Clay and Glass. Some of them still had packaging on them.

Sign installation is supposed to be happening between August 22 and 31. It can't come soon enough.
Lights had been installed along the iron horse trail from queen north to Victoria park as of last night. Not powered yet.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
There's a section of Spur line that has lights just North of Weber, and it is never powered, and I don't understand why. Last night while biking, I saw women at each end looking very uncomfortable as I biked by. If you want to create a cycling network, it only counts as infrastructure if it's something I can use all season, all hours. If I can't access it in winter, if it floods in rain, if it shuts down the moment darkness falls, it's just a petty token of meaninglessness.
Hmm, are you sure? I know the section you’re talking about, it was off when the 2nd last LRV shipment arrived (generally the only time I’m ever out after dark!), but I thought it was back on again now. When I inquired before I was told a junction box had been vandalized.
Then it might be vandalized again?

I have no evidence so this is just speculation but if it's being repeatedly vandalized it could be the property owners who back onto the trail. They were extremely offended by the lighting.
Time to install a game camera in that area to see exactly who keeps doing it if it is indeed vandalism.
Are the lights still out on the Spur Line Trail?
Ugh, gross Sad

I love how when I asked the Region for an update they were like "Are they still out?" - as in, I'm supposed to do all the work for them.
Don't those lights communicate with some central facility to tell them if they are on or off or % of full brightness?

I checked out the new side trail from the IHT to Victoria Park the other day along the Henry Sturm Greenway. It will be a nice addition, but I think they should have put some sort of small roundabout where the new trail meets the IHT near the wooden bridge because it is a little bit uphill to the IHT and the corners are kind of blind it is hard to see if anyone is coming and people can really fly on that straight section and new pavement.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(08-24-2018, 09:58 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Don't those lights communicate with some central facility to tell them if they are on or off or % of full brightness?

I don't know; if they are, that's even more infuriating that there's been no movement toward a fix.

I've reached out to the City and Berry as well...

(08-24-2018, 09:58 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: I checked out the new side trail from the IHT to Victoria Park the other day along the Henry Sturm Greenway. It will be a nice addition, but I think they should have put some sort of small roundabout where the new trail meets the IHT near the wooden bridge because it is a little bit uphill to the IHT and the corners are kind of blind it is hard to see if anyone is coming and people can really fly on that straight section and new pavement.

It really needs a widened bridge too. I don’t understand why they didn’t take the time to widen it now while the work is going on. Those rails have no historical connection to anything that was there.
Didn't it come down to that it was too expensive? I vaguely remember seeing plans posted for the new bridge.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »