Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
Trails
(06-30-2017, 11:37 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(06-30-2017, 11:23 AM)panamaniacV Wrote: What was the rationale for the berm?

I'm not sure, it has something to do with the work being done on the site, but I am not privy to any details.  There is a strong indication however that there will be trail connection(s?) into the site.

On the flip side, I wish there were official trail connections into the businesses on the other side.  Would have made for less backtracking and bushwhacking to get around the flooding but also you know, trails should connect to destinations--crazy thought I know.

The redevelopment of the drug store site (I know it has been talked about by the owner, but nothing has ever come of it) would be a good opportunity to create a connection - and it's more or less in the middle of the block.

Lol, I realize there are 3 pharmacies on Belmont.
I was thinking of Hoegler's.
There is already a trail connection at Hoegler’s...
(06-29-2017, 11:27 AM)KevinL Wrote: So alongside the roundabout work on Ottawa South, the sidewalks on the south side of the road have been torn up much further west than the main project - beyond Strasburg, I think to the McLennan Park entrance.

The only reason I can see for doing that is to put in an MUT. Are there any official sources on this?

Got up close to the work near Strasburg, earlier today. Based on the width they've given the gap, it's definitely clear this will be an MUT.

[Image: pPoEdPE.jpg]

[Image: 6i3mABY.jpg]
(06-30-2017, 09:05 PM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: There is already a trail connection at Hoegler’s...

Yes, there is one there, it's the only official one even if it is....awkward....at best.

I was actually referring to the ones between Gage and Glasgow where there is no hill in he way, only a small but wet ditch, some trees, an occasional fence, and a whole lot of cultural resistance in the way.
(06-30-2017, 09:05 PM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: There is already a trail connection at Hoegler’s...

Ahh!  The things you learn.

(06-30-2017, 10:32 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:

Yes, there is one there, it's the only official one even if it is....awkward....at best.

I was actually referring to the ones between Gage and Glasgow where there is no hill in he way, only a small but wet ditch, some trees, an occasional fence, and a whole lot of cultural resistance in the way.

Trail connections to?  "Cultural resistance" from?  Sorry for the "twenty questions" but I'm totally not a trail person so this is all new to me.
(07-01-2017, 08:15 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(06-30-2017, 10:32 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Yes, there is one there, it's the only official one even if it is....awkward....at best.

Trail connections to?  "Cultural resistance" from?  Sorry for the "twenty questions" but I'm totally not a trail person so this is all new to me.

An example is the Belmont Medical Centre (which includes my doctor's office). It backs almost directly on the trail, and even has a rear entrance; but no, that's to be used by visitors parking their cars back there, and a fence walls off the trail (though a hole is inevitably left by those who see the absurdity of this). If they'd spend a bit on a solid connection and bike parking, many of the doctors might have healthier patients...
(07-01-2017, 08:29 AM)KevinL Wrote:
(07-01-2017, 08:15 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Trail connections to?  "Cultural resistance" from?  Sorry for the "twenty questions" but I'm totally not a trail person so this is all new to me.

An example is the Belmont Medical Centre (which includes my doctor's office). It backs almost directly on the trail, and even has a rear entrance; but no, that's to be used by visitors parking their cars back there, and a fence walls off the trail (though a hole is inevitably left by those who see the absurdity of this). If they'd spend a bit on a solid connection and bike parking, many of the doctors might have healthier patients...

how out of the way is taking the sidewalk at the first or previous opportunity from a trail entrance?
It's a long block - going up to Glasgow or down to Gage would be an extensive detour.
(07-01-2017, 08:29 AM)KevinL Wrote:
(07-01-2017, 08:15 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Trail connections to?  "Cultural resistance" from?  Sorry for the "twenty questions" but I'm totally not a trail person so this is all new to me.

Another example is the Kishki World Foods plaza - it backs onto the Henry Sturm Greenway trail but not only is there no entrance from the trail, they don't even have bike racks.
(07-01-2017, 08:58 AM)KevinL Wrote: It's a long block - going up to Glasgow or down to Gage would be an extensive detour.

google seems to suggest 4 extra minutes if the person doesn't realize where they are and walk past it, extra exercise in the worst case scenario

(07-01-2017, 09:16 AM)goggolor Wrote:
(07-01-2017, 08:29 AM)KevinL Wrote: An example is the Belmont Medical Centre (which includes my doctor's office). It backs almost directly on the trail, and even has a rear entrance; but no, that's to be used by visitors parking their cars back there, and a fence walls off the trail (though a hole is inevitably left by those who see the absurdity of this). If they'd spend a bit on a solid connection and bike parking, many of the doctors might have healthier patients...

Another example is the Kishki World Foods plaza - it backs onto the Henry Sturm Greenway trail but not only is there no entrance from the trail, they don't even have bike racks.

Is the back of their lot fenced off from the trail, or is it a matter of there being no entrance/amenities on that side of the building?  Just wondering why businesses might either neglect the potential, or have some other concerns.
(07-01-2017, 10:20 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Is the back of their lot fenced off from the trail, or is it a matter of there being no entrance/amenities on that side of the building?  Just wondering why businesses might either neglect the potential, or have some other concerns.

Usually it is a matter of security and trying to control the ways people can enter and leave a property. Additional entrances, especially ones that have less eyes on it usually leads to more shenanigans.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »