Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
Trails
(02-01-2018, 10:13 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: I think you mean east of Tuerk.
Huh Smile

I suspect it’s “Tuerr”, a last name of some repute.

Good eyes, I missed that. My parents moved into a brand new Paul Tuerr home in the Rockway neighbourhood in 1962 that cost about $14,000. I payed more for my first car...
Along this stretch of the tracks, and then into the wetland-y area beside the creek there. That's what I seem to recall.
Would love to see a drawing.
Best document I could find of the promenade is this.

http://www.waterloo.ca/en/contentresourc...2_AODA.pdf

But it leaves the boardwalk on the west side mostly dotted lines. I didn't even expect it to be built in this phase. I wonder what happened.
This seems to show it:

This article mentions it.

Although the council report says that connection is for the future:
"This connection feeds in to the Central Promenade, and will facilitate circulation in an east-west direction along the interior perimeter walkway when a trail is installed west of the corridor in the future."

They probably could afford to connect the dots because of the money they saved from cancelling the glow in the dark trail (Sorry Canard for mentioning that old wound).
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

Smile

Thanks for the diagram! So it looks like it’s just a little wooden ramp, to get the grades to line up (huge hill right now), not a big elaborate boardwalk or anything.

John mentioned the bridge had to be moved 1.2 m due to utilities... that seems like a fairly big deal. I hope that doesn’t delay the project more than a few weeks, but that sounds like a “months” kind of problem to me, based on how fast these kinds of things seem to move for the Region...
(03-14-2018, 09:15 PM)Canard Wrote: Smile

Thanks for the diagram! So it looks like it’s just a little wooden ramp, to get the grades to line up (huge hill right now), not a big elaborate boardwalk or anything.

John mentioned the bridge had to be moved 1.2 m due to utilities... that seems like a fairly big deal. I hope that doesn’t delay the project more than a few weeks, but that sounds like a “months” kind of problem to me, based on how fast these kinds of things seem to move for the Region...

They should still be able to finish the rest of the path and open it. The new bridge will be a welcome capacity improvement, but the existing bridge can take the traffic until it is complete. The schedule was always a fantasy anyway — they were supposed to lift the bridge in place using a big crane in January, and finish the whole project tomorrow, which might have been possible if winter hadn’t happened.
I wonder what it’s like to work in an industry where you can just blow your timeline by like 3 months and nobody flinches.
Apparently the funding for the boardwalk came from the region (page 96):
Funding – 2017 REGION (180,000) Boardwalk

I guess that means the western trail won't be maintained in the winter since that boardwalk structure won't support a sidewalk snow plough?

Is there a reason they went with a boardwalk instead of a more permanent earth berm to change the grade? Is it because it is on the flood plain? Seems like a wooden structure won't las very long.

I think I recall that some of the funding from this project came from some special one-time provincial and/or federal funding that had to be spent by March 31, 2018 and that only 40% of the funding could be deferred to April 1, 2018 to March 31, 2019.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
@Pheidippides I think you're right the boardwalk is usually used when you want a low impact on the environment. It will last a long time though, it's not a fully wooden structure. It's got metal piers, and is designed for this application.

Which bridge needed to move for utility work? If I recall correctly, the former trail bridge was in one alignment (A) and the newer bridge was shifted slightly east or west to a new alignment (B). Based on diagram above, it would appear that there will now be two bridges at A and B. Either way, I'm sure that they were surprised to find utilities in the way.
My understanding is that they moved it 1.2 m from where they were planning on putting it originally.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »