Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
Trails
No no, I am so bad with directions. Lived here for 15 years and I still get lost and find new roads/trails every day. Is it here?

Looks right. It's being built along the rail line there, from Weber to Uptown Waterloo.
(05-29-2015, 11:16 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Looks right. It's being built along the rail line there, from Weber to Uptown Waterloo.

Anyone know how often this section of the rail line is used?

On a different note, the rail crossing at Weber is brutal, no lights, just a surprise train every once and a while
It must get used often enough that a crossing signal is going in - it was just approved (several hundred thousand dollars).
I have seen a train on that line 9pm ish one Friday night. It crossed King St in Waterloo and I watched a guy climb off the train and carry a lantern into the middle of King Street.

This was a couple of summers ago and I have no idea if that was a regular or irregular trip. The train was not a monster either, like a half dozen cars.
It's used once a day each way, excluding weekends. That's the same rail line that goes through Uptown, and then through the UW campus (the ION route). It goes up to Elmira to service the Chemtura plant. Generally the trip up is late evening, and the trip back is in the middle of the night.
First layer of asphalt has been placed on the Waterloo portion of the Iron Horse Trail between York and Park. Still some concrete work to do at John on the south side.

I hope this section lasts longer than other sections that have been redone lately.

I was just on a section of trail between Queen's blvd and McGarry that is full of little tiny moguls where plants are literally pushing their way through the surface which cannot be more than a few years old. I hope the cities have some sort of warranty on this kind of work.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
There have been some changes to the pedestrian signals at the laurel trail crossing at Erb.

On the south side of Erb the pedestrian activation button has been moved from a pole on the west side of the trail to a pole on the east side for ease of access going northbound (you no longer have to cross to the wrong side of the trail to activate the signal which is particularly useful if you are biking with a trailer). The execution of this new pole's placement was poor, they placed it literally in the middle of the 'northbound' lane of the trail (this is one of the few sections of trail that has a yellow dividing on it so imagine that 'half' of the trail with a pole in the middle of it).

The pedestrian activation signal on the north side was also moved. This button was already placed decently close to the corner and on the correct side (west) for southbound users to use easily, but now it has been moved much further west away from the corner of Erb and peppler greatly reducing ease of access going southbound (even pedestrians now have to go well out of their way to access it).

[Image: i23781.jpg]
(06-09-2015, 11:22 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: There have been some changes to the pedestrian signals at the laurel trail crossing at Bridgeport.

On the south side  of bridgeport the pedestrian activation button has been moved from a pole on the west side of the trail to a pole on the east side for ease of access going northbound (you no longer have to cross to the wrong side of the trail to activate the signal which is particularly useful if you are biking with a trailer). The execution of this new pole's placement was poor, they placed it literally in the middle of the 'northbound' lane of the trail (this is one of the few sections of trail that has a yellow dividing on it so imagine that 'half' of the trail with a pole in the middle of it).

The pedestrian activation signal on the north side was also moved. This button was already placed decently close to the corner and on the correct side (west) for southbound users to use easily, but now it has been moved much further west away from the corner of bridgeport and peppler greatly reducing ease of access going southbound (even pedestrians now have to go well out of their way to access it).

I'm through this area myself on a daily basis, I noticed the same odd pole placement.

If I recall correctly, there's plans to add a little bit of multi-use trail up the west side of the street to where the Laurel trail begins again, and to introduce a "crossride" with the crosswalk. So we might be seeing an intermediary point of a plan to shift the crossing slightly further west.

I know who to ask, so I'll do that next time I speak to them.
(06-10-2015, 10:11 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: [quote pid='8365' dateline='1433906571']
There have been some changes to the pedestrian signals at the laurel trail crossing at Bridgeport.

[/quote]
This was really confusing me until I realized you probably meant Erb, not Bridgeport.
Laurel Trail @ Peppler and Erb:
[Image: w7okxz.jpg]

[Image: erjvie.jpg]
So when are they going to put up a signal-controlled crossing at Bridgeport Road and improve the crossing at University in order to bring them up to the same standard as Erb?

(07-02-2015, 07:34 AM)ookpik Wrote: So when are they going to put up a signal-controlled crossing at Bridgeport Road and improve the crossing at University in order to bring them up to the same standard as Erb?

I doubt they'll signalize the Bridgeport crossing, because there's another crossing point too close by.

Which University crossing are you talking about? I use this trail every day and cross University at Carter, and with the newly installed island and trailhead, it's absolutely fantastic.

The real place where work is needed is where the Laurel trail crosses Weber. I know this is on the city planners' minds.
(07-02-2015, 09:11 AM)zanate Wrote: Which University crossing are you talking about? I use this trail every day and cross University at Carter, and with the newly installed island and trailhead, it's absolutely fantastic.
I haven't been by there in several months. Maybe I should check out the improvements.

Quote:The real place where work is needed is where the Laurel trail crosses Weber. I know this is on the city planners' minds.
The issue is that there's a trail "discontinuity" there between Weber and Moses Springer park. They need to extend the trail along the creek NE-bound from Weber to the park as well as provide for a proper, safe crossing.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »