Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
SIXO Midtown | 28 + 20? + 12? + ? fl | Proposed
(09-26-2016, 01:10 PM)nms Wrote: Either way, there is a certain segment that are crowding out others who, since they can't afford to purchase a condo unit, must rent from someone else who bought it instead.

This assumes a fixed supply of new buildings. In reality increased demand leads to increased construction. Who knows if One Victoria or City Centre would have gone ahead had it not been for real estate investors.

More specifically, according to anecdotal evidence, investors were crucial in getting the Kauffman lofts to fruition, at a time when demand for housing in DTK was still on the low side.

(09-26-2016, 01:10 PM)nms Wrote: Either way, there is a certain segment that are crowding out others who, since they can't afford to purchase a condo unit, must rent from someone else who bought it instead.

Some people actually don't WANT to own a condo and would prefer to rent. (I know some personally, too.)  And if rents are low relative to property prices, renting may be more financially attractive than buying, too.
This had an article in Daily Commercial News:
http://dailycommercialnews.com/Projects/...-1018486W/

It's your standard DCN puff piece, with the most actual information in the first paragraph:

Quote:Zehr Group is looking to break ground in early 2018 on a massive mixed-use development in downtown Kitchener, Ont. after acquiring the historic two-acre Ratz-Bechtel property.
In order to do that, they'll need to get starting with plan approvals with the city ASAP. It will surely take more than six months.
So will the train doors open on both sides there? It would be annoying for people not catching the bus and heading south from the station to first have to go to the crosswalk.
The LRT train doors would likely only open on the sidewalk side. That would prevent pedestrians and transit riders from darting across traffic lanes in order to catch the train or bus on the other side. The only way that I could see both sides of the LRT opening would be to also stop all rubber-wheeled vehicle traffic at the same time that the doors are open to create a scramble zone.
Where are you referring to? King and Victoria?

The train doors won't open there at all. The LRT station is north of Victoria, beside the future transit hub. The island bus stop is on the south side of Victoria.
Yes, people transferring to or from the island bus stop from either the hub or the Ion station will have to cross Victoria.
My Twitter: @KevinLMaps
Article gives some hint as the developer's plan for the Kaufman mansion.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6937...an-jewel-/
(10-30-2016, 08:58 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Article gives some hint as the developer's plan for the Kaufman mansion.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6937...an-jewel-/

Excellent.  Kudos to Don Zehr for wanting to restore the building to its original form and incorporate it into the site -- and not just as a decorative element.
(10-30-2016, 10:00 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Excellent.  Kudos to Don Zehr for wanting to restore the building to its original form and incorporate it into the site -- and not just as a decorative element.

I agree. Removing the bland additions to uncover the original building is a great idea.
I'm glad the house will be restored, and especially that the ground floor addition will apparently be removed, but I regret the loss of the chapel - I think it could have made an interesting small concert venue.
The unit next to the LCBO (which used to be some kind of a social service office) is being renovated. The clerks at the LCBO say they've heard it's going to remain office space.

On the LCBO, the employees say the company is still searching for a space for January 1, when their current lease is up, and that they are told it could be "anywhere downtown." If none is found, they'll stay.
There are active renovations going on in the plaza?That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
(11-19-2016, 03:17 PM)rangersfan Wrote: There are active renovations going on in the plaza?That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

where?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Possibly Related Threads...
  Midtown Lofts | ?m | 6 fl | Complete TMKM94 183 129,742 09-11-2018, 02:00 PM
Last Post: Spokes