Welcome Guest!
WIn order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SIXO Midtown | 28 + 20? + 12? + ? fl | Proposed
(04-07-2016, 08:16 AM)REnerd Wrote: It looks terribly dysfunctional from a streetscape point of view.  Also, the style doesn't fit our downtown at all - it seems like something from Vancouver.

Hopefully this gets some more revisions before construction starts....

What is the "style" of downtwon kitchener, boarded up plywood? Seriously, I do not think this is out of place right right across the street to the modern looking new Google building, on the other side of the tracks to the equally modern School of Pharmacy and a few short blocks away from 1 Victoria, Kitchener City Hall and City Centre, not to mention the forthcoming Transit Hub there.

I like that is modern. mixed usage, and airy. The project has some flaws (e.g. the wall) but it is clearly an improvement over what was there and quite in line with the surrounding architecture.
It does seem exactly like a cruise ship. And I strongly dislike it. My primary concern is that there doesn't seem to be a sidewalk connection through the site due to the access ramps off King forcing pedestrians to divert significantly into the site or onto that second level.
(04-07-2016, 08:33 AM)jamincan Wrote: It does seem exactly like a cruise ship. And I strongly dislike it.

Don't worry, by the time it's approved and built it will be as bland as the Northdale highrises and no one will complain.
I don’t mind the aesthetics. To be honest, I don’t really care: my tastes will change, and so will everyone else’s. Buildings hopefully stand for a while, and it’s impossible to know what people a generation from now will consider charming, or tasteless. This style would be new for Kitchener, but that’s not a bad thing.

It has very poor street presence, however. Can someone explain why it couldn’t excavated to avoid the need for a retaining wall? I’m not suggesting lowering a vast part of the site, but excavating near King to allow for something useful to front the sidewalk.
I suspect that the eventual development will address the retaining wall issue. As far as I know, what we're looking at so far is one of several concepts for the eventual development. What finally gets built may bear little or no ressemblance....
(04-07-2016, 09:31 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I suspect that the eventual development will address the retaining wall issue.  As far as I know, what we're looking at so far is one of several concepts for the eventual development.  What finally gets built may bear little or no ressemblance....

No, this was the concept chosen among a few options by Zehr Group to develop on the site. But yes, expect significant changes as this goes through the approval process... and hopefully it's not watered down to the point of mediocrity as we've seen before with other projects.
(04-07-2016, 08:33 AM)jamincan Wrote: My primary concern is that there doesn't seem to be a sidewalk connection through the site due to the access ramps off King forcing pedestrians to divert significantly into the site or onto that second level.

That is my single point of issue. I don't mind the retaining wall, if they can keep a direct, straight, barrier-free pedestrian throughway at the level of their shops.
(04-07-2016, 09:55 AM)insider Wrote:
(04-07-2016, 09:31 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I suspect that the eventual development will address the retaining wall issue.  As far as I know, what we're looking at so far is one of several concepts for the eventual development.  What finally gets built may bear little or no ressemblance....

No, this was the concept chosen among a few options by Zehr Group to develop on the site. But yes, expect significant changes as this goes through the approval process... and hopefully it's not watered down to the point of mediocrity as we've seen before with other projects.

I did not know that - has there been public confirmation of this somewhere?
This project reminds me of City Centre in Las Vegas. It has a bunch of raised sidewalks and I find it terrible to get around. Stairs everywhere.

Hopefully whatever is done with King's Crossing will be pedestrian friendly.
I really don't see stairs as pedestrian unfriendly (though not accessible -- need ramps or elevators for wheelchair access). The site has significant elevation changes and stairs are usually the best solution for those as they take much less space than ramps.

For pedestrians walking by along King St, the stairs and internal layout don't matter much anyway. If the building looks nice and the retaining wall can be eliminated (or made more interesting, with display windows, for example), not much else should matter.

For people living, working or shopping at King's Crossing, the layout will be relevant. Access to/from the street to/from retail and residential towers will be the key, but speed of access will need to be balanced with site design/architecture/landscaping to make it an attractive and pleasant place to live, work and shop. From that point of view, there are probably optimizations that can be done, but even for that, I really don't see it as being terrible.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Possibly Related Threads...
  Midtown Lofts | ?m | 6 fl | Complete TMKM94 183 122,690 09-11-2018, 02:00 PM
Last Post: Spokes