Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.18 Average
Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C
I think the empty retail space in the Eaton lofts building would be a perfect new location for LCBO.

An LCBO that's more central would be great. The current one is in a real awkward spot. I imagine they might not want to open one until the few condos going up now finish and bring in more residents. It's possible that may be a plan, maybe even within the retail sections of one of the developments going up.
(08-18-2015, 03:35 AM)ac3r Wrote: An LCBO that's more central would be great. The current one is in a real awkward spot. I imagine they might not want to open one until the few condos going up now finish and bring in more residents. It's possible that may be a plan, maybe even within the retail sections of one of the developments going up.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the location (on King, very close to Victoria), but the fact that it is small and tucked into a strip mall is bad. I think a large, modern retail unit within King's Crossing would be a great spot for an LCBO.
(08-18-2015, 07:59 AM)MidTowner Wrote:
(08-18-2015, 03:35 AM)ac3r Wrote: An LCBO that's more central would be great. The current one is in a real awkward spot. I imagine they might not want to open one until the few condos going up now finish and bring in more residents. It's possible that may be a plan, maybe even within the retail sections of one of the developments going up.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the location (on King, very close to Victoria), but the fact that it is small and tucked into a strip mall is bad. I think a large, modern retail unit within King's Crossing would be a great spot for an LCBO.

King's Crossing would be okay and another one in the empty building at the Kitchener Market (corner of King & Eby) would be very useful.
I have no idea of how LCBO decides where to put stores, but that certainly doesn't seem like overkill to me. That's not much closer than the the current store is to the Uptown location. Is there enough growth downtown to justify it? To my untrained eye, probably, and (again, to my untrained eye) King East is not well-served by the current locations.
If you search for the KW LCBOs, you will see there's a fairly consistent spacing outside and inside the cores. There's also the caveat, as I see it, of being on an important throughput road, or by the expressway if possible. The only remaining core area in Kitchener that's unserved, if you can call it that, would be Ottawa between King and Charles, roughly equidistant between *6* nearby locations, all on denser/busier plots of land than it is. Given how small the LCBO by Breithaupt is, how small the downtown Beer Store is, how struggling the Wine Rack seems to be, it would be a mark of high saturation for the LCBO to plop another store down in the core. While I walk to LCBOs, their business is driven by drivers, and accessibility to such. Unless you remove the Breithaupt LCBO, or at least one or two of the six nearby neighbours, I'd be very surprised to see another LCBO in our regulated market popping up in Downtown.
Personally, I wouldn't mind a replacement LCBO that's in very close proximity to an ION stop. The Uptown store is the closest thing to that, and it's still a long block's walk in a stop in either direction.

Do you not consider the current Breithaupt-adjacent LCBO to be in close proximity to the intermodal hub (and ION stop)?
(08-18-2015, 07:59 AM)MidTowner Wrote:

I would agree, the issue I see is would the LCBO be ok being without a downtown retail space while King's Crossing is built.
(08-18-2015, 09:24 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(08-18-2015, 07:59 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I don't think there's anything wrong with the location (on King, very close to Victoria), but the fact that it is small and tucked into a strip mall is bad. I think a large, modern retail unit within King's Crossing would be a great spot for an LCBO.

King's Crossing would be okay and another one in the empty building at the Kitchener Market (corner of King & Eby) would be very useful.

Is that big enough?  Seems small to me.
(08-18-2015, 12:18 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(08-18-2015, 09:24 AM)jgsz Wrote: King's Crossing would be okay and another one in the empty building at the Kitchener Market (corner of King & Eby) would be very useful.

Is that big enough?  Seems small to me.

Perhaps.  But wouldn't it be nice if Ontario followed Quebec's model for selling booze?  As you know, lots of dépanneurs (corner variety stores) sell a pitiful selection of beer and wine but the SAQ (their LCBO) has five different styles of stores.  Certainly an SAQ Express would be great at the Market.   Unfortunately, there is no LCBO Express in Ontario.  

https://www.saq.com/content/SAQ/en/a-pro...ieres.html
(08-18-2015, 01:07 PM)jgsz Wrote:
(08-18-2015, 12:18 PM)Spokes Wrote: Is that big enough?  Seems small to me.

Perhaps.  But wouldn't it be nice if Ontario followed Quebec's model for selling booze?  As you know, lots of dépanneurs (corner variety stores) sell a pitiful selection of beer and wine but the SAQ (their LCBO) has five different styles of stores.  Certainly an SAQ Express would be great at the Market.   Unfortunately, there is no LCBO Express in Ontario.  

https://www.saq.com/content/SAQ/en/a-pro...ieres.html

Ahh yes.  That would work.  But that's a whole new issue.
This was posted in the Urban Kitchener thread, announcing the closing of the McDonald's at King and Moore.

(10-01-2015, 06:15 PM)white_brian Wrote: http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile/const...-1.2590961

That article also references the King's Crossing redevelopment, identifying a few businesses which have left the current plaza. The article states that the plaza "is also undergoing a total redevelopment, which is expected to push past that timeframe [late 2016]." I note the use of the present tense with a lot of optimism...how close is this redevelopment to happening?

I think probably sooner rather than later. The Tim Hortons building has already been torn down.
(10-04-2015, 10:22 AM)Spokes Wrote: I think probably sooner rather than later. The Tim Hortons building has already been torn down.

Fingers crossed for 'soon'!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »