Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.18 Average
Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C
Welcome to crazy town. Err I mean the DTK condo market

Well, the price list said studio starting at 289.9k. There are only 2 studio floor plans. One is 385sqft the other 400. Starting from usually implies it's for the smallest unit in that category 289.9k / 385 = $753/sqft. It's the most expensive unit on a per sqft basis.
(09-08-2019, 01:25 AM)artembunglito Wrote:
(09-07-2019, 08:44 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Was at the 'VIP' event today. They have a release of some units. There was a steady stream of people - catered snacks (charcuterie board) from Vincenzos, Four All ice cream, Monogram coffee and a choice of beer and wine.

Overall nice feel - huge 3d table of DTK and it's buildings but all transparent - not in color and no model of Station Park.

Apparently selling a lot including, like I said before, to outside investors.

Pricing - well, seems they plan to single handily raise the bar of price / square foot in DTK by a cool 75 to 200 depending on the unit. If my math is right, the studios being the highest come in at ~750/sqft. One bedroom avg seems 650ish and 2 bedrooms around that too.

Parking 45k
Maintenance .51
5k for rental lease

Hold on, you're saying $750 a square foot? WTF?

I'm guessing with proximity to the Ion and future transportation hub, GO and Via, this wouldn't be a horrible deal. In this case, no need for a car.
Worth a 50%+ premium over Arrow Lofts?
What was price of Arrow?
(09-08-2019, 09:46 AM)Momo26 Wrote: What was price of Arrow?

I stand to be corrected, but I believe no unit has yet cracked $500 per sqft.
(09-07-2019, 07:22 AM)KevinL Wrote: How can a full phase of a technology that has yet to be proven, be complete in a year's time? That's a (literal) pipe dream.

Right. And them building a palm tree shaped man-made island in 5-6 years was also a "pipe dream".

The first phase which is 10km long set to open in time for Expo 2020, has already begun construction.

But sure, lets take arm chair engineers from kitchener who haven't seen the construction of it, over idk, a city that has done things that were once considered "pipe dreams".

Makes complete sense.

(09-07-2019, 10:42 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(09-07-2019, 06:30 AM)moe242324 Wrote: I was not referring to Ontario at all, you said it was a publicity scheme by Elon Musk which is not true at all. And no it’s not a test track. The first phase (10km)  in Dubai is estimated to be complete by next year...

“I”? You are moe242324. I was responding to Momo26, who said “The hyper loop looks scrapped all together under the ford government government”. The main point I was making was that Ford may have cancelled High Speed Rail, which was in the early stages of possibly going somewhere under the previous government, but Ford definitely hasn’t cancelled HyperLoop, which to my knowledge has not been even semi-seriously discussed here in Ontario. I threw in  a snarky comment, which I believe will be proven correct, about HyperLoop, but the main point was about confusion between HSR and HyperLoop.

Even if it opens to the public in the next year or two, which I doubt, for HyperLoop 10km is a test track. HyperLoop is supposed to be a high-speed service, which given the requirements for and practical limits on acceleration, requires long distances between stops.

Also, Elon Musk is well known for throwing out publicity stuff. Loop is another example, which has been progressively (and predictably) watered down so that it’s now just a regular car driving in a tunnel without any of the provisions for emergency exits, etc., which would be required for a real system.

It’s an interesting contrast. On the one hand, he put together the SpaceX team, which really is achieving some amazing things, not to mention Tesla and other businesses; and on the other hand, he keeps throwing off crazy ideas on absurd timelines.

And "I" am replying to your snarky comment that is baseless and without faces and 100% opinionated. Smile

And no it's not really a test track because it will be commercially available for people to use by the time of 2020 expo.

So again, false claims with no evidential basis to back it up.
(09-08-2019, 01:33 PM)jordan2423 Wrote:
(09-07-2019, 10:42 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: “I”? You are moe242324. I was responding to Momo26, who said “The hyper loop looks scrapped all together under the ford government government”. The main point I was making was that Ford may have cancelled High Speed Rail, which was in the early stages of possibly going somewhere under the previous government, but Ford definitely hasn’t cancelled HyperLoop, which to my knowledge has not been even semi-seriously discussed here in Ontario. I threw in  a snarky comment, which I believe will be proven correct, about HyperLoop, but the main point was about confusion between HSR and HyperLoop.

Even if it opens to the public in the next year or two, which I doubt, for HyperLoop 10km is a test track. HyperLoop is supposed to be a high-speed service, which given the requirements for and practical limits on acceleration, requires long distances between stops.

Also, Elon Musk is well known for throwing out publicity stuff. Loop is another example, which has been progressively (and predictably) watered down so that it’s now just a regular car driving in a tunnel without any of the provisions for emergency exits, etc., which would be required for a real system.

It’s an interesting contrast. On the one hand, he put together the SpaceX team, which really is achieving some amazing things, not to mention Tesla and other businesses; and on the other hand, he keeps throwing off crazy ideas on absurd timelines.

And "I" am replying to your snarky comment that is baseless and without faces and 100% opinionated. Smile

And no it's not really a test track because it will be commercially available for people to use by the time of 2020 expo.

The Seattle Monorail is also commercially available for people to use, it is also a test track.

You seem very defensive about this...I'm not sure why.
(09-08-2019, 01:53 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(09-08-2019, 01:33 PM)jordan2423 Wrote: And "I" am replying to your snarky comment that is baseless and without faces and 100% opinionated. Smile

The Seattle Monorail is also commercially available for people to use, it is also a test track.

You seem very defensive about this...I'm not sure why.

I have an issue with people claiming things as to be true or factually based without any evidence to support any of their claims.

You may not have an issue with that, but I do.
Squirrel!
(09-08-2019, 01:33 PM)jordan2423 Wrote:
(09-07-2019, 10:42 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: “I”? You are moe242324. I was responding to Momo26, who said “The hyper loop looks scrapped all together under the ford government government”. The main point I was making was that Ford may have cancelled High Speed Rail, which was in the early stages of possibly going somewhere under the previous government, but Ford definitely hasn’t cancelled HyperLoop, which to my knowledge has not been even semi-seriously discussed here in Ontario. I threw in  a snarky comment, which I believe will be proven correct, about HyperLoop, but the main point was about confusion between HSR and HyperLoop.

Get back to me when I can fly to Dubai, buy a ticket, and ride in a HyperLoop which is long enough for them to have to have figured out the thermal expansion issue with the pipe. That’s not a 10km test track. Which I also don’t expect to be opening to the general public in the next year, but maybe I’ll be wrong about that.
(09-08-2019, 10:21 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(09-08-2019, 09:46 AM)Momo26 Wrote: What was price of Arrow?

I stand to be corrected, but I believe no unit has yet cracked $500 per sqft.

Yes, that seems to be correct (for current Arrow Lofts pricing). Now, three factors that (partially) help to explain the discrepancy:
  • The Station Park prices are really 2021 (or 2022?) prices, not 2019 prices
  • Station Park is a brand-new building which always has some premium
  • The Station Park units are smaller, which generally results in a higher price per square foot
It will be interesting to see how Avenue M (which is really targeting Arrow Lofts-type buyers) will be priced.

(09-07-2019, 04:42 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: OK, no problem. I agree the HSR would be a huge improvement in transportation. Messing around with more airport capacity is crazy when we still have people flying over short distances. Leave the flying for the long distance trips. The only quibble I would make is that we don’t necessarily need real HSR; a reliable GO train that tops out at 150km/h would be so much faster than the existing service that it would attract enormously more ridership. Although it’s easy for me to say that as a Waterloo Region resident; GO is no help for Londoners. London is enough further away from Toronto than Waterloo that the HSR would really shine.

GO Transit's MP54 locomotives can do 180 km/h and VIA Rail's upcoming SC-44 can do 200 km/h. With proper track and crossings we could easily have 45-minute service from Kitchener to Union Station, and 90-minute service from London. HSR would not be required -- but track improvements would be.
(09-08-2019, 08:29 PM)tomh009 Wrote: GO Transit's MP54 locomotives can do 180 km/h and VIA Rail's upcoming SC-44 can do 200 km/h. With proper track and crossings we could easily have 45-minute service from Kitchener to Union Station, and 90-minute service from London. HSR would not be required -- but track improvements would be.

I did not know that. Those speeds are near what I would call HSR, even though I know it’s well below the speeds of the super-fast trains in Europe, Japan, and China. Especially for the short distances between Waterloo and Toronto, there is no need to go much faster — 45 minutes Kitchener to Union Station would easily outpace any bus or airplane, when considered in the context of the whole trip.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »