Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.18 Average
Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C
Insider, does the project incorporate the McDonald's property (or McDonald's in any way, as a tenant perhaps, though that may be too much for you to say), and can we look forward to an announcement hopefully within Q1 2016?

I would love to see this involve the whole area, the Plaza, the funeral home, the office building on the corner at Wellington and OSC property!! Maybe I'm over thinking this whole thing, the anticipation has been killing me since I saw the interview with Zehr development over a year ago....
(12-21-2015, 03:16 PM)MidTowner Wrote:
(12-21-2015, 02:48 PM)Lens Wrote: Interestingly, Sortable has moved into what looks like temporary space in the old Dake Sushi spot.

Arg! More restaurant space lost to office use.

I note your use of the word "temporary," though. Hopefully that space is redeveloped sooner than later.

There is no shortage of space for restaurants at the moment in downtown, so I really don't see an issue with a long-vacant restaurant being used as an office.  It would be different if there were a shortage of retail space, but having more people working downtown is also Very Much a Good Thing.
Great update!

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/developer-to...-1.2722614

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6217...kitchener/
Zehr Group buys Ratz-Bechtel funeral home property in Kitchener 
Quote:It will add almost two acres to the three acres the Zehr Group already owns at 607 King St. W.

The company said the combined 5.11 acres can accommodate more than 875,000 square feet of development...

The 118-year-old building, first constructed as home for industrialist Jacob Kaufman, is listed on the city's heritage registry. "We're very respectful of the history of property we develop and expect this will be a key focus of plans as we move ahead with the project," Zehr Group chief executive officer Don Zehr said in a news release.
With the confirmation that the funeral home has been incorporated into the Kings Crossing development site, perhaps we can concentrate our posts in the Kings Crossing thread, unless heritage issues become a big deal once the details of the development are known. It makes me slightly nervous that Zehr is quoted as saying that "some" heritage features will be retained. I hope the developers have the imagination to take full advantage of the opportunities offered by the successful incorporation of the mansion into a larger project.
My guess is that the main building will be retained but that some of the newer "older" bits might be removed such as the large chapel space.

Wink 
(01-04-2016, 03:06 PM)nms Wrote: My guess is that the main building will be retained but that some of the newer "older" bits might be removed such as the large chapel space.

That wouldn't surprise and could be good if there were a reconstruction of the original front of the mansion.  On the other hand, that chapel could make a very nice concert venue, if the developer were looking to impress us with public amenities.... Wink
(12-17-2015, 08:20 PM)panamaniac Wrote: With the upcoming closure of the funeral home, I hope we won't have to wait too long for details of what comes next for this heritage property, so I thought I'd open a thread.

Personally, I think the complex would make a fantastic regional "arts hub", with space for offices, studios, rehearsal space and performance venues.  I  don't think I will hold my breath waiting for something like that, however.

My biggest disappointment about the closure of Ratz Bechtel is that there has not been one headline taking advantage of the great pun opportunity.... "Funeral Home Goes Under!"
(01-04-2016, 02:41 PM)panamaniac Wrote: With the confirmation that the funeral home has been incorporated into the Kings Crossing development site, perhaps we can concentrate our posts in the Kings Crossing thread...

FWIW I posted the news report here because I wasn't aware that the existing Zehr holding is called Kings Crossing. The Record's story doesn't refer to it by that name either. Anyway, I have no objection to merging and purging.
Where is that "like" button when I need it? Smile
I'll take care of the merge tonight when I get home. For now we can discuss in the other thread.
Article from today providing some more details about the development

hopefully the renders will be public soon!

(01-05-2016, 11:30 AM)insider Wrote: Article from today providing some more details about the development

hopefully the renders will be public soon!

I like the fact that they actually held a design competition.

As an aside, reading The Record's comments is even more depressing than for G&M.  For example, for this story, "Another empty condo building of empty FOR LEASE office space coming up." got eight upvotes and none down.  Why are The Record's readers (or at least commenters) so overwhelmingly negative?
(01-05-2016, 11:52 AM)tomh009 Wrote: As an aside, reading The Record's comments is even more depressing than for G&M.  For example, for this story, "Another empty condo building of empty FOR LEASE office space coming up." got eight upvotes and none down.  Why are The Record's readers (or at least commenters) so overwhelmingly negative?

(Because it probably has even less moderation. Don't read the comments.)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »