Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.18 Average
Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C
The LRT train doors would likely only open on the sidewalk side. That would prevent pedestrians and transit riders from darting across traffic lanes in order to catch the train or bus on the other side. The only way that I could see both sides of the LRT opening would be to also stop all rubber-wheeled vehicle traffic at the same time that the doors are open to create a scramble zone.

Where are you referring to? King and Victoria?

The train doors won't open there at all. The LRT station is north of Victoria, beside the future transit hub. The island bus stop is on the south side of Victoria.
Yes, people transferring to or from the island bus stop from either the hub or the Ion station will have to cross Victoria.
Article gives some hint as the developer's plan for the Kaufman mansion.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6937...an-jewel-/
(10-30-2016, 08:58 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Article gives some hint as the developer's plan for the Kaufman mansion.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6937...an-jewel-/

Excellent.  Kudos to Don Zehr for wanting to restore the building to its original form and incorporate it into the site -- and not just as a decorative element.
(10-30-2016, 10:00 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Excellent.  Kudos to Don Zehr for wanting to restore the building to its original form and incorporate it into the site -- and not just as a decorative element.

I agree. Removing the bland additions to uncover the original building is a great idea.
I'm glad the house will be restored, and especially that the ground floor addition will apparently be removed, but I regret the loss of the chapel - I think it could have made an interesting small concert venue.

The unit next to the LCBO (which used to be some kind of a social service office) is being renovated. The clerks at the LCBO say they've heard it's going to remain office space.

On the LCBO, the employees say the company is still searching for a space for January 1, when their current lease is up, and that they are told it could be "anywhere downtown." If none is found, they'll stay.
There are active renovations going on in the plaza?That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
(11-19-2016, 03:17 PM)rangersfan Wrote: There are active renovations going on in the plaza?That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

where?
Just from reading MidTowner's comment above.
There is a co-working space going in there, I assume they are taking advantage of the temporary nature of that plaza.
(11-19-2016, 03:17 PM)rangersfan Wrote: There are active renovations going on in the plaza?That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

It didn't to me, either, but they have been pulling out surface materials from the unit next to LCBO, and working inside.

Thanks a lot, Brenden, for explaining what it is. That does make sense for a plaza which won't be with us for much longer.

So is this development going to be called SIXO?

Quote:The group recently announced that despite a plan to develop on the five-acre site, the original Kaufman home  will not only be unwrapped, but it will be preserved.

The development plan, named SIXO, has not been released to the public yet and is awaiting City of Kitchener approval.
The Heritage Impact Study for the property
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »