Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.18 Average
Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C
(05-20-2017, 04:27 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Presumably, yes. Despite the retaining wall being there, the curbs for King St curve towards the retaining wall at that entrance, as if there is already an entrance there, but with a mysterious wall in the middle of it. Odd that they would have spent money on a "permanent" wall rather than just some easy-to-dismantle boards or something.

In the context of the excavation that will be required, that retaining wall is “easy-to-dismantle” — just unstack the pieces and take them away.

Thank you all for the replies and GtwoK for the picture.
I do like the renderings they've released recently, although I don't like how the edges of the buildings curve - but that's subjective. The second render honestly looked the best, especially the court yards. We'll have to see what they finally decide to build. Developers often change things between when they announce the project going ahead, to when they finally start building. This is one project in the region I don't have the capacity to get more info on in my line of work, so I have no idea.
Signage going up on King. 

[Image: A8uNVsX.jpg]
Anybody know why the SIXO site is listed for sale in today's Globe and Mail?
For those who don't get the paper, I've gone to the trouble of finding the ad on the website:

Did Zher Group do the land assembly?
It's possible that they are looking for a deep pocketed investor to purchase the land and future buildings, to give them the capital to move forward with construction.
I read somewhere that Zehr said he was looking for partners, that they can't do this development by themselves. Here is the link : http://www.zehrgroup.ca/2017/05/sixo-project-unveiled/

I'm not really familiar with the business logistics of projects like this, but doesn't this mean the project has no guarantee of breaking ground any time soon? I was under the impression they were making a big deal about their reveal because they were planning to sell units. Not trying to drive up hype to use as leverage in negotiating with partners.

Couple questions maybe others could answer:
1. How long will it take them to find a partner? Seems like there would be low supply of partners able to handle this kind of project
2. How typical is it for plans to be completely redesigned when a partnership is established.
3. What are the odds that they break ground on this in the next 3 years?
Maybe the road to a retaining wall was a smart idea after all by Grandlinq, lol
One hopes the Record might have a word of explanation in tomorrow's paper.
Unless all the hype (plans/concepts/renderings) translate into investments...things progress slowly and in some cases not at all. I imagine this happens more often than you'd think considering the sheer magnitude of some of these projects.
I admit I am fairly inexperienced in this sphere but it seems strange that the property is listed for sale such a short time after the project reveal and going through the effort of having a world class architect firm work on the project.
Considering the flight path to the hospital helipad had to be altered because of the proximity of the OneHunderd development Canard's photo shows how much closer the helipad is to the Sixo development and how alternative flight paths/approaches will likely be restricted/constrained by all the new towers in that area. 
[Image: attachment.php?aid=4160]
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(08-29-2017, 09:45 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Considering the flight path to the hospital helipad had to be altered because of the proximity of the OneHunderd development Canard's photo shows how much closer the helipad is to the Sixo development and how alternative flight paths/approaches will likely be restricted/constrained by all the new towers in that area. 
[Image: attachment.php?aid=4160]

That helipad will go. Its location is absolutely ridiculous, appropriate for a small town but not a fast growing city. GRH will build one on its own property as part of their next expansion project.
Restoration of Kaufman mansion to start next spring
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »