Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Levetto - Italian
Read an interesting write up in the Record today about Levetto. It has been my experience that Italian food is not a common restaurant theme in this city. Perhaps I have my head stuck in the sand again.

Another news item, the location is 105 Oak Park Dr, Waterloo. Never heard of that address. When I look on the map I see the Google car has not made it there either, so the whole area above the Grey Silo golf course must have transformed while I was asleep.

A quick scan of the website shows this to bill itself as "Fast Casual Italian". It appears to be a mini-chain with 5 locations (2 in our Region) open and one opening soon in Burlington. The brains behind the restaurant is unusual as well. It is not the traditional "my family came from Italy/nonna taught me everything" story. The fellow has a Persian name and is a classically trained French chef. 

Anyhoo... the review seemed to be positive. Here is a link to the website for more info.

http://levetto.com/

If anyone is inspired to check it out before I get there, please let us all know how it went here.

I've been there several times and it has been consistently excellent. Prices are very reasonable. It's located backing on to the turf field, across the street from RIM Park. It will be interesting to see if it survives, being in such a remote location, as it's surrounded by town homes and a new subdivision. I've mainly used it as takeout.
I've also been there a few times. Group of 3 or 4 each time. Place has limited interior seating, but once their patio opens, they can handle more sit downs. Expect to get takeout.

Flavours have been excellent. First time in, my and my co-worker's pasta weren't quite al dente. Second time in, my co-worker's pasta was under cooked again, but mine was perfect. Salads and pizzas were also tried, to rave reviews. The location definitely caters to Blackberry and expected growth in that subdivision.

Price point is very good for the portion size.
The Italian restaurant that I've long wanted to try and just never get around to it is Nostra Cucina - the idea of entering from the back door of an industrial strip mall down on Manitou Dr. is intriguing.
(03-27-2015, 08:22 AM)Drake Wrote: It has been my experience that Italian food is not a common restaurant theme in this city. Perhaps I have my head stuck in the sand again.

Casa Rugatino in Belmont Village has "owned" that category for years. A bit pricey but worth it.
Panamaniac: Nostra Cucina - 2 thumbs up. The veal sandwich is a must.
Ookpik: Thanks. I have heard similar but never been. Some day!
I've been to Nostra Cucina (the front) for a lunch sandwich and it was very good. What I haven't tried is the restaurant out back.

(03-27-2015, 09:28 AM)ookpik Wrote:
(03-27-2015, 08:22 AM)Drake Wrote: It has been my experience that Italian food is not a common restaurant theme in this city. Perhaps I have my head stuck in the sand again.

Casa Rugatino in Belmont Village has "owned" that category for years. A bit pricey but worth it.

I'm not so sure.  I wasn't overly impressed with their food or atmosphere given the price.
(03-27-2015, 11:37 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I've been to Nostra Cucina (the front) for a lunch sandwich and it was very good.  What I haven't tried is the restaurant out back.

This is from the Nostra Cucina web site:

Quote:Regarding the back door...

for those who loved and miss the back door, it's still here, we've just made some changes, you now use the front door, the service is casual and the menu has been combined with the Nostra Cucina menu, but we're still licensed and care just as much about the food as we did.  Looking for some good homemade Italian food?  Try Nostra Cucina's front door!

http://nostracucina.squarespace.com/

The front door was always there and I once saw an elderly couple use it rather than the back door.  The Back Door idea was interesting but it was very dark at night and probably not the safest way to enter the building.

By the way, they make one of the better pizzas in this area.
(03-27-2015, 09:17 AM)panamaniac Wrote: The Italian restaurant that I've long wanted to try and just never get around to it is Nostra Cucina - the idea of entering from the back door of an industrial strip mall down on Manitou Dr. is intriguing.

From the Nostra Cucina web site:  

"Regarding the back door...

for those who loved and miss the back door, it's still here, we've just made some changes, you now use the front door, the service is casual and the menu has been combined with the Nostra Cucina menu"
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »