Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vacant properties
Does anyone know why there are 2 vacant properties on Victoria Street between Lawrence Ave. (Near KC Convenience) and Westmount (Near Tim Hortons) I don't think there's ever been a gas station or garage on either of the properties. The property near Lawrence is now for sale again.

Both have been vacant for more than 25 years, the original reasons are lost in the mists of the past. Smile

Zoned multiple residential, so I would expect to see some low-rise units built at some point in the future.
(08-12-2015, 11:37 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Both have been vacant for more than 25 years, the original reasons are lost in the mists of the past. Smile

Zoned multiple residential, so I would expect to see some low-rise units built at some point in the future.

The site near Victoria was a former land fill site going back many moons.  The other site should be ready to go.
(08-21-2015, 03:00 PM)jcraig138 Wrote: The site near Victoria was a former land fill site going back many moons.  The other site should be ready to go.

Was the larger site at Victoria and Wichael the landfill I'm pretty sure both sites are on Victoria?
I noticed today a few vacant properties on Weber St. near Waterloo inn and the old Conestoga College property. I know the Field behind the old Conestoga College was proposed to be a Real Canadian Superstore but the City didn't approve the development. But what about the other two one behind Waterloo inn and I think there was another Field?
The field behind IMS used to be developed, but I don't really recall what was there. The lot btwn Waterloo Inn and the expressway was also developed.
Between the Waterloo Inn and the Parkway was a Volvo dealership, but it's been vacant asphalt for about a decade now.

The empty field behind Parkway Ford is owned by its northern neighbour, FaithLife. They've yet to do anything with it. I'm not sure what's up with the one behind the Waterloo Inn.

Waterloo Inn (Waterloo Motor Inn!) once had a plan to expand onto the former car dealership property, but nothing happened on that front -- and now there is far more hotel competition than there was before, when Waterloo Inn was the only business-quality hotel in Waterloo.
Anybody know what's up with the vacant asphalt property on Charles near Borden? The one in between mister transmission and the kwartzlab. With the Ion station going in literally right there, I would assume it's ripe for development, but haven't heard anything about it!
(08-22-2015, 10:02 AM)Smore Wrote: The field behind IMS used to be developed, but I don't really recall what was there.  

I remember a building with a two-story central section (which was a bingo hall circa 1990, but I don't think that was the original use) and wings parallel to the street.

Unfortunately the Region has taken away away photos earlier than 2000.
The vacant property near Bridgeport and Weber has recently sold.
The property at the corner of Columbia St E and Marsland Dr was having some sample (hydrological or geological?) drilling done the other day.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(08-22-2015, 11:50 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Anybody know what's up with the vacant asphalt property on Charles near Borden? The one in between mister transmission and the kwartzlab. With the Ion station going in literally right there, I would assume it's ripe for development, but haven't heard anything about it!

I was wondering that myself just the other day. IIRC, that used to be that 2-floor Canadian Tire. Tim Hortons is on part of that property.
Perhaps it's some sort of environment disaster underneath. But clean it up, excellent spot for high-density residential or large office building, perhaps one for "start-ups". As you pointed out -- right by a LRT stop.

I believe that GtwoK was referring to the lot across the street, between Kwartlab and the Rito Mr. Transmission. I've often wondered the same thing. The land you are referring to changed hands a few years ago and, at least in theory, is available for development.
That entire neighbourhood looks like it was bombed out not long ago... and it's so close to DTK. It's a blight in the urban patchwork and I cannot wait until it is developed. It's equivalent in UTW was the empty Seagram lands, Barrel Yards and 144 Industrial lands a decade and a half ago.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »