Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mount Hope Cemetery
So, I was researching the Abe Erb pub online and checking out their menu. I note they have an old map of Waterloo (1855) as the footer of almost every page. I note some of the street names have changed over time. EG Waterloo used to have a Duke St (Dupont). 

Of note, is the Mount Hope Cemetery. It appears to be at the current site of the Grand River Hospital. I am aware from past visits to Waterloo city hall that the GRH is sitting on land that was one time operated by the Seagram's as their stables. Or that is my recollection. 

Is anyone else aware of this little tid bit? Did we move an entire cemetery to the current location sometime after 1855? 

Interesting...
[Image: home_map.jpg]

This does make me wonder where the bodies were buried in Waterloo prior to the creation of Mt Hope? I know someone who is very knowledgeable in this area (seriously!). If I get a chance in coming weeks, I will see if I can get in touch with her to ask.
Alright, the plot thickens. BrianT, the links you provided state that the person in charge of the cemetery was John Hoffman. You will note, his name appears on this map. The rest of the information on the links contradict each other.

Perhaps this map existed as a proposal for where the cemetery would be located and was not actually ever started, as your Waterloo links seem to suggest the actual cemetery was incorporated 12 years later in 1867 (incidentally the year of confederation). The Kitchener link suggests the cemetery was created in 1868 and referred to as the Greenbush cemetery and not named Mount Hope until 1872.

Panamaniac, thanks for your post as well. I would be interested to learn what your friend knows.
(04-12-2015, 12:24 PM)Drake Wrote: Perhaps this map existed as a proposal for where the cemetery would be located and was not actually ever started, as your Waterloo links seem to suggest the actual cemetery was incorporated 12 years later in 1867 (incidentally the year of confederation).

I don't know about this specific case, but that kind of thing was definitely true to some extent. E.g. Caroline Street never went all the way to Mt. Hope St. Or, for another example, there was never a town built at Shantz Station, even though you can see a grid of streets on a number of maps from the mid 19th century.
Very cool map. Nice find.

Looking at the map scale, anyone know what a "chain" is?
(04-13-2015, 06:59 AM)Spokes Wrote: Very cool map.  Nice find.

Looking at the map scale, anyone know what a "chain" is?

Back in our British days, pre 1977 it was a pretty standard unit of measurement. A chain is:

unit of length. It measures 66 feet, or 22 yards, or 100 links, or 4 rods (20.1168 m). There are 10 chains in a furlong, and 80 chains in one statute mile. An acre is the area of 10 square chains (that is, an area of one chain by one furlong). The chain has been used for several centuries in Britain and in some other countries influenced by British practice.
This plan was more likely created to sell properties than to actually record what was there. The only buildings that were likely actually in the area in 1855 are where there are black squares (eg on the left side of the image).

Was that a planned gravel pit or actually in use?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(04-14-2015, 09:33 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Was that a planned gravel pit or actually in use?

Keep in mind that this was 1855.  The gravel pit was more likely a modest gravel deposit that was being used for a variety of local uses rather than export.
Spoke today with local historian, Joanna Rickert-Hall, who told me that the site of the Grand River Hospital was never used as a cemetery. She was uncertain whether there was a cemetery in Waterloo before the Erb St Mennonite Cemetery opened in the early 1850s. She said she would let me know if she found out anything more about burials in Waterloo prior to the opening of the Mount Hope Cemetery.
Thanks!