Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Midtown Lofts | ?m | 6 fl | Complete
Midtown Lofts
690 King St. W Kitchener
Developer: Decade Homes
Project: 7 story condominium 
[Image: Midtown%20Lofts%20(Rendering%201)%20Web%20Button.jpg]

[Image: JMhIa6d.png]

Before redevelopment:

[Image: htwXgiS.png]

There is a paper on the door of the Hair extension place near Big General's pizza that says they have closed (moved online) because "672-692 King St. W are being demolished" (692 King St.W was the old Big General's Pizza  location). It doesn't give a reason for the demolition. I wonder if it's for the 8 storey apartment building that was proposed a couple years ago or if it's for something else ?

(04-12-2015, 09:07 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: There is a paper on the door of the Hair extension place near Big General's pizza that says they have closed (moved online) because "672-692 King St. W are being demolished" (692 King St.W was the old Big General's Pizza  location). It doesn't give a reason for the demolition. I wonder if it's for the 8 storey apartment building that was proposed a couple years ago or if it's for something else ?

If so, it's terrific news. 
(04-12-2015, 09:07 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: I wonder if it's for the 8 storey apartment building that was proposed a couple years ago or if it's for something else ?

Probably.
So a seven storey condo project.  Look forward to seeing a render.
Didn't an architect have a rendering on their site? I just can't remember which one.
I like the "feel connected with the Ion train at your doorstep". Yes, trains will go by the front door (and you may feel connected by noise and vibration - see other thread), but you are almost half way between the two closest stations...
I find developers' hyperbole tedious. Of course the Ion will not be "at your doorstep." But it will be a less than ten-minute walk to the hospital station.

This will be great, especially if they go ahead with their plans for a healthy retail component.

Sounds promising! Can't find anything much about it, though, no sign of an architect.

The parcel is already zoned MU-2, maximum building height of 24m so 7 stories should fit easily. As long as they can comply with setbacks (maybe not a problem on this parcel) etc they won't need council approvals, just site plan approval and then building permits. Three sides are street-facing so they need only a 1.5m setback for those.
If I recall correctly, they requested minor variances to allow for reduced set-back from the Shanley Street alley. I think there was some push-back from neighbours, but that it was approved (I can't find that application, though).

The plan was for an eight storey residential building with commercial on the main floor, plus townhouse units fronting Louisa. Spokes is right: there was definitely an architect who posted a design on their site. I think they also had info as to sizes of the various retail units, and we had discussions on WW as to whether the existing tenants might be accommodated there, and so on.
(04-13-2015, 11:09 AM)MidTowner Wrote: ... and we had discussions on WW as to whether the existing tenants might be accommodated there, and so on.

Ah yes, now that does ring a bell. 

But my supposedly clever web searching couldn't find any architect for the site ... Angry
This one is close-by maybe it's the one y'all are thinking of?
No, that's the one down the "south-east" corner of Wellington. I can't remember whether we saw a render of the Loiusa project on WW or not. I do recall that the site includes frontage on Louisa as well as King.
(04-13-2015, 02:11 PM)clasher Wrote: This one is close-by maybe it's the one y'all are thinking of?

Yup, that's the one.

None the less, good to see this moving forward.  Mixed use on King St?

I remember when the General Pizza was Tommy's Fruit Market.
I just got an e-mail with the subject "VIP Event Invitation Coming Soon!"

So this is the invitation to receive the invitation, then? It says that the event will be in July. Also says "from the low $200s."
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »