Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grocery Stores
(03-15-2021, 03:25 PM)ac3r Wrote: I wonder what grocery store will be moving into Station Park: https://outline.com/fuTR7v

If it is a full sized grocer, perhaps a Zehrs?

I very much doubt they have a tenant signed up at this time. We have had lot of projects and buildings that highlighted the space for a grocery store before, but at this time the closest we have come to has been J&P -- and soon Marche Leo's.

And, going back a couple of years, the comment from both Loblaws and Sobeys was that they wanted to see a much larger DTK population base before opening an urban location. Of course, it's possible that their approach has changed since then, but I would really try curb my enthusiasm at this point.

I was thinking similarly. I would guess that by the suggestion of opening a grocery store downtown they expect that their project (as well as all the other projects under construction) would finally increase the population enough justify a new full sized grocer to open. There will be a lot of people living downtown by, let's say 2025 for example, as current projects complete and newer ones continue to go up.
(03-31-2021, 04:34 PM)goggolor Wrote: Yes Market with Turkish/European foods is open in Belmont. I'm loving that new places like this and Roua are accessible via the IHT.

Thanks, I didn't know this was open. I'll have to pay a visit one day to see if they have the stuff to make çiğ köfte.
The new Food Basics on Fischer-Hallman near Bleams has opened.

<twitter>https://twitter.com/tomjgalloway14/status/1461330675269881865</twitter>
(11-18-2021, 11:56 AM)KevinL Wrote: The new Food Basics on Fischer-Hallman near Bleams has opened.

<twitter>https://twitter.com/tomjgalloway14/status/1461330675269881865</twitter>

The new plaza is pretty much negating any of the new benefits of the Bleams/Fischer Hallman roundabout with its new traffic light (about 100m away from the roundabout).
Apparently the roundabout at the plaza in the final design of Fischer Hallman was cut in favour of a permanent light.
I was looking forward to this section of FH to actually be a Road but in the end its just going to be another Stroad.
(11-18-2021, 12:39 PM)neonjoe Wrote:
(11-18-2021, 11:56 AM)KevinL Wrote: The new Food Basics on Fischer-Hallman near Bleams has opened.

The new plaza is pretty much negating any of the new benefits of the Bleams/Fischer Hallman roundabout with its new traffic light (about 100m away from the roundabout).
Apparently the roundabout at the plaza in the final design of Fischer Hallman was cut in favour of a permanent light.
I was looking forward to this section of FH to actually be a Road but in the end its just going to be another Stroad.

-___- I hate when the region allows stuff like this. Roundabouts are so much better than traffic lights but I guess the damn developer didn't want to pay up for that.

Would the lights are temporary until the reconstruction of FH is finished in front of the store (Eg. median is completed forcing people to turn right and swing around the roundabout to go south)?

It seems the archeological work is still in progress meaning FH reconstruction will continue into another season.
Our neighbourhood group asked the local councillor. She said that the final plan is that this will remain a light when the construction is completed. If it were a roundabout the Pylon Sign probably should not have been installed where it is.
There is a similar situation at Erb St, just west of Ira Needles where a light was put in. The traffic flow is heavy enough out to Costco that it can be difficult to exit in either direction onto Erb.
Dutchie's has opened its newest location on Gateway Park (the Sportsworld area; it's in the former Ikea unit).
A Longos will be coming to the new shopping centre across from RBJ Schlegel Park.
Finally! I've never been to a Longo's but I have heard lots of good things about it I'm glad they're finally opening one in KW.

They're great! A welcome addition for sure.
Longos is great. I am fortunate that I work in Mississauga so I utilize one here. Not cheap, but good quality and unique items..
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »