Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grocery Stores
Thanks for the photo update KevinL.

I went today and quite liked it. I was more impressed with this location than the one they opened earlier this year in London on Fanshawe. It also reminded me a bit of a mini Whole Foods. It almost has the same layout as the Whole Foods at Square One in Mississauga.

The traffic getting in is quite bad. Having one full movement entrance off Wilson is quite limited. I saw the parking lot will be connected to the new Cineplex VIP Theatre next door, so that should help relieve the pressure getting in off Wilson.

(12-06-2015, 10:54 PM)plam Wrote:
(12-06-2015, 05:38 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Their Eastern Ontario roots/supply chains are also on display.  I wonder what folks here will make of the "nuns' farts" I saw on display at the cash register?

Huh. Maybe they'd also have good cheese curds (which are hard to get here, at least if you need them to be good; somehow the ones here aren't as briny.)

Did I ever complain about the lack of cabanes-à-sucre anywhere west of Eastern Ontario?

St Alberts (Sobeys carries them too).
(12-07-2015, 09:37 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(12-06-2015, 10:54 PM)plam Wrote: Huh. Maybe they'd also have good cheese curds (which are hard to get here, at least if you need them to be good; somehow the ones here aren't as briny.)

Did I ever complain about the lack of cabanes-à-sucre anywhere west of Eastern Ontario?

St Alberts (Sobeys carries them too).

The Bridgeport Sobeys has cheese curds once a week? but they're only OK.
It's funny that you say the curds out east are brinier. We stopped at Black River Dairy near Picton not too long ago, and my wife commented that the curds were good and fresh, but a little on the briny side. Maybe we are a little unknowing about curds, being from southwestern Ontario.

If you're driving west, south of Woodstock near the 59 we've been stopping at Gunn's Hill for curds. We've found them exceedingly fresh (but I can't think how briny they are).
(12-07-2015, 11:00 AM)MidTowner Wrote: It's funny that you say the curds out east are brinier. We stopped at Black River Dairy near Picton not too long ago, and my wife commented that the curds were good and fresh, but a little on the briny side. Maybe we are a little unknowing about curds, being from southwestern Ontario.

If you're driving west, south of Woodstock near the 59 we've been stopping at Gunn's Hill for curds. We've found them exceedingly fresh (but I can't think how briny they are).

Closer to home, Oak Grove Cheese Factory in New Hamburg has fresh white curd, although you'd need to call to see what day it is fresh.  Oak Grove also sells Cook Cheese and Limburger!

If you don't mind the drive, I'm told that Brights Cheese Factory also has good fresh curd (on Tuesdays, I think, but I'm not certain).  I can't attest to the saltiness, however.
Finally went to Farm Boy today, lots of great products, and very busy inside. I would love one of these in an area that is more pedestrian friendly that would be easier to bike to.
It's not even car friendly. That parking lot is a nightmare.

Agreed the parking lot is poorly laid out and smallish.
Interesting to note that a few Zehrs in the Region are getting Tim Hortons inside the store.

The Cambridge Centre Zehrs on Conestoga Boulevard and the Laurentian Zehrs on Ottawa Street have Tim Hortons outlets in them currently under construction.

Are there any others anyone know about?
When it was still a Metro, the now-No Frills on Franklin had one.
Apparently Zehrs is launching this: https://shop.zehrs.ca/ Some prime parking spots at the Erb/Fischer Hallman location were reserved for pickup spots.
(03-16-2016, 10:42 PM)curiouschair Wrote: Apparently Zehrs is launching this: https://shop.zehrs.ca/ Some prime parking spots at the Erb/Fischer Hallman location were reserved for pickup spots.

They have had this in place at the Loblaws in Collingwood since the summer; good idea, but no one uses it.
If they add it to the Stanley Park Zehrs, I'd definitely use it. I spend enough time in my car commuting, any extra time I can reclaim would be beneficial.

(03-17-2016, 12:06 PM)jamincan Wrote: If they add it to the Stanley Park Zehrs, I'd definitely use it. I spend enough time in my car commuting, any extra time I can reclaim would be beneficial.

I second the Stanley Park location!  (although with underground parking thru the winter, we are already spoiled.... Smile )

Coke
Loblaw to spend $1B to open 50 new stores, renovate 150 others

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/lob...-1.3531578
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »