Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grocery Stores
Great news, it's nice to have another brand in the region

Unless they put it under the food basics banner.
Ah, I didn't realize they were owned by Metro
(02-08-2018, 06:07 PM)JoeKW Wrote: Great news, it's nice to have another brand in the region

There used to be a Metro at Franklin Boulevard and Can Amera in Cambridge, but it didn't last long. It's now a smaller No Frills. Perhaps the Metro name didn't take off in the region.
(02-13-2018, 01:00 AM)The85 Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 06:07 PM)JoeKW Wrote: Great news, it's nice to have another brand in the region

There used to be a Metro at Franklin Boulevard and Can Amera in Cambridge, but it didn't last long. It's now a smaller No Frills. Perhaps the Metro name didn't take off in the region.

Before it was a Metro it was an A&P. Metro bought A&P Canada , which also operate directly Food Basics.
(02-13-2018, 08:00 AM)neonjoe Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 01:00 AM)The85 Wrote: There used to be a Metro at Franklin Boulevard and Can Amera in Cambridge, but it didn't last long. It's now a smaller No Frills. Perhaps the Metro name didn't take off in the region.

Before it was a Metro it was an A&P. Metro bought A&P Canada , which also operate directly Food Basics.

And before that A&P Canada bought Dominion. Smile
(02-13-2018, 02:18 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 08:00 AM)neonjoe Wrote: Before it was a Metro it was an A&P. Metro bought A&P Canada , which also operate directly Food Basics.

And before that A&P Canada bought Dominion. Smile

Ah yes, the good old Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company. That reminds me, I need to stop at the Kresge Mart on my way home.

It seems that the Davis's Gourmet, the Healthy Butcher and Kara Foods on Bruce St has closed and a Dutchies is taking its place.

https://thehealthybutcher.com/blog/goodb...t-for-now/
Mixed feelings. ON one hand, a name-brand grocer close to downtown is nice, on the other, 4 local grocers being closed in order to accommodate, especially with Valu-MArt a block away, is extremely disappointing.
Dutchies is a local grocer is it not?
They only have one location right now, as far as I know, and it's in Waterloo. They also seem to support local producers.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do better than Dave's Gourmet. They don't seem to market themselves quite as up-market as Dave's Gourmet. I know I'll be far more likely to go there, while I only went to Dave's Gourmet once despite living nearby.
Sorry, I'm confusing it with Dutch Boy, I assumed they were related!
Dutch Boy hasn't been running under that name for a long time. It's completely absorbed by Sobeys now.

Dutchies isn't upscale at all. Produce is often super discounted. They buy a lot from the Ontario Food Terminal that is close to the edge, and sell it very cheaply. Both in the store and at their location at the market.

They do support local farmers on occasion (mostly for veg), and they sell a bunch of stuff from Stemmler's and as long as you understand those raspberries (standard Driscoll's you get in any other grocery store) are going to be soup in 36 hours then it's a fantastic place to shop (we buy from there regularly, and I'm eager to have one a lot closer than the current location), but it's not like, say Herrle's where they're selling a bunch of their own crops or buying almost exclusively directly from farmers within 100km.
(03-30-2018, 04:20 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Mixed feelings. ON one hand, a name-brand grocer close to downtown is nice, on the other, 4 local grocers being closed in order to accommodate, especially with Valu-MArt a block away, is extremely disappointing.

I believe David's Gourmet held the overall lease, and they have decided not to renew (for whatever reason). Dutchie's is taking over the space, and not subletting part of it to other stores.

Healthy Butcher won't open another location in Kitchener (and apparently neither will David's). Not sure about Kara's Smart Foods.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »