Welcome Guest!
WIn order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grocery Stores
(04-15-2015, 03:31 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: I'm hoping it will be something that's not in KW yet like Longo's or Loblaws, but if not then I hope it's a Sobeys also.

Given that Zehrs is Loblaws' regional mainstream grocery brand in SW Ontario, a Loblaws-branded location is highly unlikely (and also it would be little different from Zehrs). 

Longo's or Metro would be the two chains that have no local presence.  Metro is already in Guelph so a K-W location might be an easier reach for them than for Longo's.
(04-15-2015, 02:30 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-15-2015, 03:31 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: I'm hoping it will be something that's not in KW yet like Longo's or Loblaws, but if not then I hope it's a Sobeys also.

Given that Zehrs is Loblaws' regional mainstream grocery brand in SW Ontario, a Loblaws-branded location is highly unlikely (and also it would be little different from Zehrs). 

Longo's or Metro would be the two chains that have no local presence.  Metro is already in Guelph so a K-W location might be an easier reach for them than for Longo's.

I doubt we'll see a Metro in that location, as there's a Food Basics (owned by Metro) down the street.
(04-15-2015, 03:31 PM)YKF Wrote:
(04-15-2015, 02:30 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Given that Zehrs is Loblaws' regional mainstream grocery brand in SW Ontario, a Loblaws-branded location is highly unlikely (and also it would be little different from Zehrs). 

I doubt we'll see a Metro in that location, as there's a Food Basics (owned by Metro) down the street.

I also doubt that it'll be a Metro. There used to be a Metro store in Cambridge at the corner of Can-Amera & Franklin until the beginning of this year. It closed due to low sales and from what I heard Metro didn't sound interested in opening another store in our area
The Metro in Cambridge was doomed to fail. There was already a much larger Zehrs two minutes away with an established customer base and easier access (you couldn't turn left to get in or out of the Franklin driveway because of the median).
That Metro was also 24 hours, so it was more expensive to operate. I used it occasionally when I worked in Hamilton and needed a lunch, it was the only place open at 5am when I was leaving town.
(04-15-2015, 02:05 PM)ookpik Wrote:
(04-15-2015, 01:28 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: I assumed Loblaws had it's own atmosphere and bigger variety of products, I didn't realize that Loblaws is the exact same as Zehrs.

I consider the two banners essentially equivalent because they operate in mutually exclusive areas. For example in Toronto, where the flagship banner is Loblaws, there are no Zehrs stores, and in Waterloo region, where Zehrs is the main banner, there are no Loblaws stores. 

Interestingly in Barrie (where Loblaws has also traditionally used the Zehrs banner for full-line grocery stores), Loblaws just finished converting one of the Zehrs stores to a premium Loblaws store, modeled after the Maple Leaf Gardens Loblaw store. This is while all the other Loblaws banner stores in Barrie have remained Zehrs. It would not be unusual in my opinion for something similar to happen here...

I know regional chains like Farm Boy are very interested in having stores in this area. Maybe it will be a Whole Foods?
I think this thread is going off-topic.  Maybe a new thread is needed to discuss grocery stores?
Unfortunately there is a bug in the form software/theme package to split threads and move groups of posts... we're looking into this.
If we need a new thread we can start one, but General Food/Retail might be a good fit too?
(04-15-2015, 11:50 PM)The85 Wrote: Interestingly in Barrie (where Loblaws has also traditionally used the Zehrs banner for full-line grocery stores)...

Yes, very interesting. I recall that when Loblaws bought Zehrs they kept the name because of its deep roots in this region.

Barrie of course is a bit further afield as are Owen Sound and Windsor where there are also Zehrs stores. Presumably Loblaws either rebranded or opened these stores after they bought the name, i.e. they weren't part of the chain when the Zehrs family owned it.

But as I said before, I'm making assumptions here based on personal observations. I don't have any direct insight into the Weston-owned grocery chain's marketing strategy.

Perhaps they're trying to create yet another market segmentation of stores. I find these distinctions quite interesting and telling. Besides store size and selection of products, the weekly flyers from Superstore, Zehrs and ValuMart have both commonalities and differences. The products on sale vary. But where the same product is on sale at more than one brand, the sale price may be substantially different, e.g. a jar of PC peanut butter that's on sale for $3.99 at ValuMart may be $2.99 at Superstore or fresh salmon while on sale may still be several dollars a kilo more expensive at VM than SS.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Possibly Related Threads...
  FutureShop- All Stores Closed Immediately rickhd 37 27,610 05-22-2015, 08:40 PM
Last Post: Canard