Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grocery Stores
(06-23-2015, 05:29 PM)Drake Wrote: I am not familiar with Farm Boy. I read on their website the store will be 22,000 sq ft. Is this a normal size for their stores? It seems small.

I don't know about the floor areas but Farm Boy is not a complete supermarket - if you think of what's around the outer perimeter of most supermarkets (produce, bakery, meat/fish, cheese/deli, dairy, prepared foods, a bit of frozen) you've covered the majority of what Farm Boy carries, although it has some packaged goods as well.  In local terms, it's a bit closer to Dutchies than it is to a Zehrs (somewhere in between).  They have some very good "own label" brands too - I quite like some of their salad dressings, for example.

Here's this week's flyer for London to give an idea:

http://www.farmboy.ca/flyer/flyer3.pdf

(06-23-2015, 06:04 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(06-23-2015, 05:29 PM)Drake Wrote: I am not familiar with Farm Boy. I read on their website the store will be 22,000 sq ft. Is this a normal size for their stores? It seems small.

I don't know about the floor areas but Farm Boy is not a complete supermarket - if you think of what's around the outer perimeter of most supermarkets (produce, bakery, meat/fish, cheese/deli, dairy, prepared foods, a bit of frozen) you've covered the majority of what Farm Boy carries, although it has some packaged goods as well.  In local terms, it's a bit closer to Dutchies than it is to a Zehrs (somewhere in between).  They have some very good "own label" brands too - I quite like some of their salad dressings, for example.

Dutchies is a very good analogy, but i'd say it is more of a Dutchies/Central hybrid due to it being bigger and carrying a wider variety of stuff.

Whatever the case, as a former Ottawa resident I am very excited that they are expanding into K-W. I'll probably drive across the city to go there.
(06-23-2015, 06:04 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I don't know about the floor areas but Farm Boy is not a complete supermarket - if you think of what's around the outer perimeter of most supermarkets (produce, bakery, meat/fish, cheese/deli, dairy, prepared foods, a bit of frozen) you've covered the majority of what Farm Boy carries, although it has some packaged goods as well.  In local terms, it's a bit closer to Dutchies than it is to a Zehrs (somewhere in between).  They have some very good "own label" brands too - I quite like some of their salad dressings, for example.

Thanks for that. Smile
(06-23-2015, 05:05 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Wasn't that supposed to be a T&T?  (Yet another Loblaws brand ...)
No, it wasn't T&T, it was a lesser known asian grocery brand out of Toronto.
(06-24-2015, 10:00 AM)Markster Wrote:
(06-23-2015, 05:05 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Wasn't that supposed to be a T&T?  (Yet another Loblaws brand ...)
No, it wasn't T&T, it was a lesser known asian grocery brand out of Toronto.

Wasn't the T&T rumored to be at King and Cedar?
(06-24-2015, 11:08 AM)Spokes Wrote: Wasn't the T&T rumored to be at King and Cedar?
That strikes me as wild speculation.
(06-24-2015, 12:05 PM)Markster Wrote:
(06-24-2015, 11:08 AM)Spokes Wrote: Wasn't the T&T rumored to be at King and Cedar?

Oh, we don't do wild speculation around here! Big Grin

(06-24-2015, 12:05 PM)Markster Wrote:

There was a rumour (possibly started by me) of an Asian supermarket at King and Cedar, but I have never seen T&T's name mentioned.  Aren't they more into suburban locations?
It seems that the T&T rumour might originate from the CBC article for the Ottawa Street location -- but the article actually says "The new store will be also modelled after the Toronto-based T&T chain of Asian supermarkets and will offer an in-store bakery and a food court where shoppers can buy ready-made Asian barbecue and sushi."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-...-1.3003041

But maybe this deal has fallen through?
There is some equipment in the lot now. Some asphalt has been brought up and misc servicing.
Farm Boy will be opening on December 3rd.
Farm Boy
385 Fairway Rd
December 5, 2015

[Image: AJ8hGmi.png]

[Image: QSxSTKd.png]

[Image: j8X6KGA.png]

Definitely more of an 'up-market' retailer, more in the category of Vincenzo's. It was extremely busy today, I may get a better sense of the place on a quieter occasion.
(12-05-2015, 02:42 PM)KevinL Wrote: Definitely more of an 'up-market' retailer, more in the category of Vincenzo's. It was extremely busy today, I may get a better sense of the place on a quieter occasion.

Those pictures look a bit like Dutchie's.

Farm Boy was still very busy today, and not the easiest place to get into if you're coming from the highway (you need to enter down off Wilson, behind Moxies). They have really expanded the amount of "own label" product that they carry. I find that it has elements that remind me of Vincenzos, David's Gourment and Dutchies, but has elements all its own too, especially with the prepared foods, which are pretty extensive. You could do a pretty decent dinner party with the prepared foods they have available.

Their Eastern Ontario roots/supply chains are also on display. I wonder what folks here will make of the "nuns' farts" I saw on display at the cash register?
(12-06-2015, 05:38 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Their Eastern Ontario roots/supply chains are also on display.  I wonder what folks here will make of the "nuns' farts" I saw on display at the cash register?

Huh. Maybe they'd also have good cheese curds (which are hard to get here, at least if you need them to be good; somehow the ones here aren't as briny.)

Did I ever complain about the lack of cabanes-à-sucre anywhere west of Eastern Ontario?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »