Welcome Guest!
WIn order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
General Suburban Updates and Rumours
A crane is about to go up next to the Economical Insurance office on Riverbend Drive in Kitchener. This page says there's a 6-storey parking garage going in, so I suppose it's for that.
The older of the two Petro-Can stations at Ottawa and Strasburg has been closed, and its tanks are currently being excavated.

[Image: 20141113_114134.jpg]

No word yet if anything is set to replace it.
My Twitter: @KevinLMaps
The new parking garage for Economical is well under way. The progress is clearly viewed from the highway.
Does anyone know what is planned for the north-east corner of Strasburg Road and Block Line Road? The trees were removed several years ago. Since then they started to dig and then stop. Dig for a week of so and then stop again. They really started to excavate the site this fall but they stopped again. The depth of the hole suggests underground parking for a high rise building but I've yet to see any indication of what is planned.
(11-29-2014, 10:56 AM)jgsz Wrote: Does anyone know what is planned for the north-east corner of Strasburg Road and Block Line Road?  The trees were removed several years ago.  Since then they started to dig and then stop.  Dig for a week of so and then stop again.  They really started to excavate the site this fall but they stopped again.  The depth of the hole suggests underground parking for a high rise building but I've yet to see any indication of what is planned.

I live just up the street from this. I understand a highrise is planned but the glacial progress indicates it's on a slow burn financially. Wish I knew more.
My Twitter: @KevinLMaps
599 Strasburg Rd

The building permits GIS has no details but it looks like a site plan for an apartment has been approved for this location.
[Image: UXzn9vc.png]

The only other glimmer of detail I could find was from this GRCA document:

Quote:6. Application # 240/12

Owner: Drewlo Holdings Inc.
Project Location: 599 Strasburg Road, City of Kitchener
Work Proposed: To remove 0.02 ha of wetland
Policy Application: The application is within a wetland and satisfies GRCA policy
requirements for removal.
Conditions: 1. The submission and approval of final plans to the satisfaction of
Grand River Conservation Authority staff.
Other: A satisfactory Environmental Impact Study has been submitted for
this proposal.

If there is something in the works for this site, it will likely be another Drewlo generic apartment building. When more details emerge we can create a separate thread.
Thanks for the info rangersfan. I contacted Drewlo Holdings and they tell me that yes, they own the land but have no immediate plans for a building.
In an email from Drewlo Holdings Inc they tell me that "the building on Strasburg Road should hopefully be up in two years although nothing is certain at this point."

I saw some activity at the site yesterday but whatever they're doing sure seems to move at a snail's pace. 
Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere already but does anyone know what the excavation work being done out on King St E beside the Hampton Inn is for?
I was wondering the same thing driving by today.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »