Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Franklin Boulevard Roundabouts
Of course, that should have said weeks.

Can confirm that at least the Sheldon, Bishop, and Savage roundabouts are now open. Haven't driven through the others yet.

What's up with the Pinebush roundabout? That was supposed to be a Year 1 roundabout, but hasn't even been started yet!

Ah! I remember seeing the alternatives they had come up with for that. Didn't realize they had picked one, let alone scheduled construction so soon!
Drove all the way down Franklin today. Noticed the Clyde and Main street roundabouts hadn't been started either! Strange. So much for 6 roundabouts in year 1. How do they expect to get 9 done next year, if they only got 3 done this year?
Interesting. I guess it's a longer timeline than I expected. When's the Franklin extension past Myers being done? That was supposed to include 2 more roundabouts (One at Myers and one at where the extension ends).

They've got detailed technical drawings of the 6 Year 1 roundabouts on the region's site. Anyone know of the existence of the the Year 2 roundabout drawings? Curious what they'll look like at Avenue, where space is very limited, and at Dundas, which is a moderately big intersection.
(12-22-2015, 02:29 AM)BrianT Wrote:
(12-22-2015, 12:22 AM)GtwoK Wrote: Of course, that should have said weeks.

Can confirm that at least the Sheldon, Bishop, and Savage roundabouts are now open. Haven't driven through the others yet.

What's up with the Pinebush roundabout? That was supposed to be a Year 1 roundabout, but hasn't even been started yet!

It will be started in the spring of 2016. The Franklin Blvd. 401 exit is going to be rebuilt by MTO next year and co-ordination with that project was necessary. Pinebush is the most difficult to construct because of all the 401 traffic funneling through it.  http://highway401-hespeler-townline.ca/w...phase1.pdf

Where did you see that Franklin/401 interchange will rebuilt next year? I thought the EA is still not filed and approved. From what I can recall, this is still several years off.
I am absolutely loving the Franklin/Sheldon roundabout. Drive through it twice a day and what was a horrible intersection I dreaded crossing (and avoided by deeking along Pinebush and other side-streets) is now a smooth dream. A bit narrow (especially in the winter) but a vast, vast improvement. My coworkers all agree.
(01-15-2016, 09:06 AM)Canard Wrote: I am absolutely loving the Franklin/Sheldon roundabout. Drive through it twice a day and what was a horrible intersection I dreaded crossing (and avoided by deeking along Pinebush and other side-streets) is now a smooth dream. A bit narrow (especially in the winter) but a vast, vast improvement. My coworkers all agree.

I might guess based on this that you work where the sun don't shine? Wink

Cambridge? Yup!
(01-15-2016, 09:49 AM)Canard Wrote: Cambridge? Yup!

Haha no, more specifically where the sun don't shine, which is true of an astronomical occurrence we witness, whose name is shared by what I am guessing is your employer.
Pinebush is schedules to close in 2 weeks to facilitate the construction of the new roundabout until July!
Oh goodie. Thanks for the warning.

Any detailed plans online showing exactly what the configuration will be? Very curious as this is an absolutely horrific intersection. I shift my hours ahead 1.5h just so I can specifically avoid dealing with this intersection at busy times.
(03-10-2016, 05:41 PM)Canard Wrote: Oh goodie.  Thanks for the warning. 

Any detailed plans online showing exactly what the configuration will be?  Very curious as this is an absolutely horrific intersection. I shift my hours ahead 1.5h just so I can specifically avoid dealing with this intersection at busy times.

Assuming this is accurate: here
I was on Franklin yesterday and, approaching one of the circles, I saw a car stop in the circle as if to yield to the traffic entering the circle. The stop lasted several seconds before the driver understood that he/she had the right of way. I've seen lots of bad traffic circle driving in town, but that surprised the heck out of me.

The traffic lights at Franklin/Pinebush were removed a couple of weeks ago and Pinebush is closed (but Franklin is still open, just down to one lane in either direction). A temporary pedestrian crossing stoplight has been added just south of Pinebush - it's not operational yet, but I imagine it will be, soon.

For whatever reason, the Franklin/Sheldon roundabout, which I thought was essentially complete, has been cut down to one lane instead of two. This has caused massive traffic backups on Franklin both North and South of the roundabout at rush hour times.
(04-14-2016, 05:25 PM)Canard Wrote: The traffic lights at Franklin/Pinebush were removed a couple of weeks ago and Pinebush is closed (but Franklin is still open, just down to one lane in either direction).  A temporary pedestrian crossing stoplight has been added just south of Pinebush - it's not operational yet, but I imagine it will be, soon.

For whatever reason, the Franklin/Sheldon roundabout, which I thought was essentially complete, has been cut down to one lane instead of two.  This has caused massive traffic backups on Franklin both North and South of the roundabout at rush hour times.

Yeah, I was out that way today, not realizing that Pinebush was closed.  I and many, many other motorists absolutely did not cut illegally through the plaza parking lot....  Wink
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »