Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Franklin Boulevard Roundabouts
Glad they are using overhead signs for the roundabouts and to indicate where each lane goes like they do for the 401

(08-30-2016, 09:49 PM)Canard Wrote: Some photos, heading Northbound on Franklin through the Franklin/Pinebush Roundabout:

Is that a Level 2 Pedestrian Crossover I spy?
(08-30-2016, 10:52 PM)timc Wrote: Is that a Level 2 Pedestrian Crossover I spy?

Looks like, and as an added bonus the crossing is a couple of carlengths away from the intersection with the roundabout. Signs of progress. Now we get to see how well they work.
As of this morning, both lanes on Franklin between Pinebush and Sheldon are now open (it was restricted to one lane each way). Which is fantastic. Coming off 401 onto Franklin is a dream now - this used to be a total nightmare.

OMG I'm actually excited to drive through this at rush hour today to see how it works the other way. Smile
The overhead signs are amazing.... Great job RoW!
It was perfect coming home today. It works. So well. Love it!

The third lane from Franklin N onto Pinebush E, and the slipway from Pinebush W onto Franklin N still actually aren't open - so this can only get better, too.

Everyone should go see this thing. It's a thing of beauty.
(08-29-2016, 08:20 PM)Canard Wrote: Holy crap, the Pinebush/Franklin roundabout is huge.  I normally drive through this every day but for the past couple of weeks I've been avoiding it - went through again today and almost all the landscaping is done, final pavement is in, and the absolute largest road signs I have ever seen anywhere have gone up at all the entrance/exit points, directing and guiding the flow in this massive 3-lane monstrosity!

Getting excited to see this finished off.  I hope it works.

This is the size that all the roundabouts in Waterloo region should be. Well maybe not the small traffic calming roundabouts on smaller streets. The Ira Needles' roundabouts are a mess as are the one's on Erb Street and so on ... 

I like the large advance signage which will most likely help all those timid drivers who have been in a panic to decide somewhat before they enter the roundabout where they intend to go.

I think it's a good design, yeah. The large diameter would encourage higher speeds, but the chicane at the entrances I think does a pretty good job of getting people to approach at a reasonable velocity.
Well, that didn't take long.

It's going to take a long time for people to realize you have to pay it forward at roundabouts. If you don't signal your exits, it doesn't hurt you, only the people trying to safely spot the opening to move in from that exit, but eventually it's your turn to suffer if others treat you as poorly as you treated them.
(09-06-2016, 04:56 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: It's going to take a long time for people to realize you have to pay it forward at roundabouts. If you don't signal your exits, it doesn't hurt you, only the people trying to safely spot the opening to move in from that exit, but eventually it's your turn to suffer if others treat you as poorly as you treated them.

Still waiting for that in Kitchener.  Frankly, I'm not holding my breath, I think it's been getting worse.  Although I was shocked to discover nearly universal signaling in the Netherlands so maybe there is hope.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »