Welcome Guest!
WIn order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amalgamation
(05-11-2018, 02:17 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-11-2018, 02:11 PM)welltoldtales Wrote: Was this before or after the 'burbs elected Doug Ford and then crushed the Gardiner?

That's democracy. In the end, we need to accept the results of democratic elections, even if we find them personally distasteful.

And non-amalgamation isn't democracy? Maybe diluting a product isn't worth it? Which is sort of my point. Kitchener has spent a lot of time and money building Neighbourhood Associations and Neighbourhood programs. They are winning international awards for that work.

Specifically for it's size, Waterloo has done exceptional work cycling. They are the third Ontario city to get "Gold" in cycling and I scoff at that too, but I have also visited much of Ontario and what Waterloo has done really does compete with the best in Ontario (which is just a poor measuring stick, but you get the point). 

Keeping the cities separate allows for a diversity of identities to be created. Unique solutions to the common problems of city building and resource allocation. Amalgamation leads to "status quo" and "consensus building". It's hard enough to get 10 councillors at a table to agree, imagine 17!

And all so we can put a bigger sticker at the entrance that says we have x population? So that businesses can more freely navigate the intricacies of our governing structure? In two cities that post some of the best job numbers in the country? I think what we have is working incredibly well for businesses, even if they might not like it so much.
(05-11-2018, 01:11 PM)KevinL Wrote: I'd like to see more coordination between the cities (especially on active transportation and route planning) and some services should be uploaded to the Region (firefighting) but wholesale merging is not the solution.

While I think it just makes sense, but I also think it'll never happen officially.  

But I agree with KevinL's standpoint.  There are some services that should be under Regional control.  Fire is one.  Especially since EMS and Police already are.  What about libraries?
(05-14-2018, 08:50 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(05-11-2018, 01:11 PM)KevinL Wrote: I'd like to see more coordination between the cities (especially on active transportation and route planning) and some services should be uploaded to the Region (firefighting) but wholesale merging is not the solution.

While I think it just makes sense, but I also think it'll never happen officially.  

But I agree with KevinL's standpoint.  There are some services that should be under Regional control.  Fire is one.  Especially since EMS and Police already are.  What about libraries?

I'd actually argue libraries are a great example of why merging is a bad idea.

We have four library programs in the region, doing very different, very local things.  There is possibly the opportunity for better integration, full amalgamating would likely cost us quite a bit in terms of custom programs meeting the needs of local communities.
Interesting point.

I only ask this as someone who doesn't use the programs a lot, but are they that locally specific?
And the city libraries do local things specific to neighbourhoods as well. Acting local doesn't mean that it has to be a separate organization in each city.

But merging the fire departments would be an excellent first step before considering anything else.
(05-14-2018, 10:13 AM)Spokes Wrote: Interesting point.  

I only ask this as someone who doesn't use the programs a lot, but are they that locally specific?

For example, the region library provides rural services in a really specific way, i.e., short hours libraries, mobile libraries.

As tomh009 mentioned city libraries do local community things.

It's not impossible to keep these things in a larger organization, but it is easy to lose, especially when focusing on achieving efficiency gains (which won't always be realized if local context must be kept).

Fire sounds like a good example to me, but I don't really know for sure--I'm not an expert, or even really spent any time researching it.  I know rural fire fighting is different from city, I could be missing other things...I shouldn't assume that I know, even though I usually do.

A great example IMO is citizen point of contact.  Right now I have to know what city I'm in, whether the road I'm calling about is regional or city, and how that particular jurisdiction deals with the particular type of issue I'm calling about.  Something that I think would eliminate the majority of calls for amalgamation would be to provide a unified regional contact centre that a citizen can call with any issue, and have that regional contact centre do the proper dispatching.

Yes, not exactly gaining efficiency in government cost, but gaining efficiency in providing better service.
Well here we go again:  

The Record ran an article asking the question: Should Waterloo Region be one big city?

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/890...big-city-/

I love how they imply that the 2010 election saw a vote on merging - when it was actually a vote to talk about the possibility of merging
Although Ford did allude briefly to Ottawa the other day, I don't think he really has anything other than Toronto in his crosshairs, for reasons largely unrelated to effective municipal governance.