Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waterloo Council Election Discussion
Waterloo Council Election Discussion

Running for Mayor:
JAWORSKY, DAVE
MACDONALD, DAVE
SAID, RAMI
TRAUB, ERIKA

Running in Ward 1:
Bob Mavin

Running in Ward 2:
BOURKE, BRIAN
KALUZNY, HELEN
MOORE, JANICE
WILLMS, HARDY

Running in Ward 3:
DOHERTY, SHELBY
KOVACSIK, ANDREI
SHARMA, AMIT
VIETH, ANGELA

Running in Ward 4:
FREEMAN, DIANE
KAPOOR, RAKESH
SMITH, CLIVE

Running in Ward 5:
GUNJEVIC, ZDRAVKO
JOSEPH YOUSIF, KARAM
WHALEY, MARK

Running in Ward 6:
HENRY, JEFF
HODGINS, ROBERT

Running in Ward 7:
DURRELL, MELISSA

I sent an email message to Melissa Durrell, the Uptown Counsellor, about 3 weeks ago asking about the burned out house at the corner of Regina St and Bridgeport Rd E. That house has been burnt and boarded up for over 3 years. I was hoping the city would force the owner to repair it or knock it down.

In comparison the building Ish and Chips was in was taken down and turned into a gravel lot within two weeks.

My point is, this is an eyesore and it is in her ward. She has not acknowledged my email, which is disappointing.
My hope is that we can create a comprehensive list of candidates in each thread for the upcoming election. Please post any candidates you know are running for office in the appropriate thread. Thanks!
A complete list of candidates can be found at http://www.waterloo.ca/en/government/el ... idates.asp
Drake Wrote:I was hoping the city would force the owner to repair it or knock it down.

Drove past today and noted the burnt house and the one beside it are being torn down. I wonder what will be built there.
To be fair to Durrell, she did respond to my email this week. Not sure what the delay was.
I've sent a few questions out to the Ward 3 candidates (except Andrei, whose contact information I couldn't find). I'll post the replies back here if I hear back from any of them. Unfortunately, only two of them have websites, and as far as I can see, Shelby's is quite slim on policy but it's better than Angela's which has nothing at all.

EDIT: The email address I found for Amit bounces, unfortunately.

That's surprising that Angela Veith's doesn't have anything on it. She was a good councilor
Note, advanced voting is now underway. A poll was setup at the University of Waterloo yesterday and today at Waterloo Town Square. Hours for today are 10AM to 6PM.

Get out there and cast your vote! There was no wait when I went just after lunch.
From @CityWaterloo's Twitter account yesterday:

Quote:Clerks reporting we had more #wrvotes in today's advance poll at @UWaterloo than in all of 2010's on campus votes.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »