Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Unique Houses of Waterloo Region
Not to one up, but this is the most expensive house I've found in the area so far. 4.5 million.

Yeah the wife and I were looking at that one last night, actually. Found it interesting that they're asking so much and it has almost no land.
The finishes are gorgeous and the house is fantastic, but for almost 5 mil, I'd expect something like Balsillie, with the hockey rink, acreage, and other outbuildings.
(and not to one-one-up, but one got listed this morning in Hidden Valley for 5.3 - complete with 900lb bulletproof doors for your totally-not-shady dealings.)
I like the dedicated shot of the quadruple dead bolt door!

I think the Cottage Place house must be attaching a large premium to being right on the Grand. It looks like it's practically on flood plain. I think it's way overpriced, especially how there's no seclusion like you said. And the houses close by aren't exactly the same quality.

I like the idea of owning one of the houses further down the road though. Although I imagine the seclusion will be gone once the new subdivision there is finished.
Is it just me or is the exterior of the Hidden Valley house ugly? Looks to me like they were going for a Georgian prison sort of look! Wink
"Not to one up, but this is the most expensive house I've found in the area so far. 4.5 million."

_________________________________________________________________________________

A GOOGLE image view of the really large Conservatory at the back of 4 Old Cottage and land runs down to the Grand River

[Image: HHVZDgR.png]
(03-03-2017, 07:03 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Is it just me or is the exterior of the Hidden Valley house ugly?  Looks to me like they were going for a Georgian prison sort of look!  Wink

They're both McMansions. Not how I'd choose to spend my $6M housing allowance.
(03-03-2017, 09:47 AM)Andy Wrote: Not to one up, but this is the most expensive house I've found in the area so far. 4.5 million.

Friends of my parents built that monster. They invited me over to do an "accessibility" audit. Every finish in the place is premium. I'm surprised they didn't have a picture of the walk-in closet in the master. It's bigger than most people's bedrooms.

I live in a house that's about half that square footage. I can't imagine trying to stay on top of keeping that please clean even with a fleet of cleaners. The other thing was that it cost them thousands of dollars a month to maintain the tropical gardens in the pool area. Amazing, but not how I would choose to spend my money. There are also 4 wet bars in the house. :-)

Perhaps not the correct thread for this, but spotted something quite odd yesterday... a door on the 10th floor exterior wall of an apartment, with no railing or balcony?! You can see it on streetview.
Always thought this was an oddball on the street. Nice house but a bit different (if you focus on the house and not the landscaping in progress)
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4307348,-...56!6m1!1e1
This popped up from Menno S. Martin Contracting Facebook page
Before:
[Image: 17621940_1490602524294991_73642870334341...e=5964BC2E]

After:
[Image: 17626686_1490602490961661_78812088059881...e=5995994A]
Wow. Love the cedar look! (But having had a lot of exterior cedar in our former house, I can confirm that it is certainly not maintenance-free!)
Not a unique *house* per se, but wouldn't this be an interesting bit of architecture to see in a city:

An interesting renovation/expansion of a heritage house next to Victoria Park. I assume this passed the city heritage regulations -- unless it was done before those were in place/
https://goo.gl/maps/G6gYCXEovxP2

Overall, I do think I like it: it's an interesting combination/contrast of heritage and modern design.

The Victoria Park Heritage Conservation District was created in 1996 (PDF) so it's likely that the renovation (as well as some of the ones on Water Street) predate that, if only by a few years.  On a side note, it's interesting to note the list of players who were on the steering committee.
Yes, looks like the expansion was done about five years earlier (the building permit was issued in 1991).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »